[SOS-PCA] February Call Notes

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Tue Feb 2 18:29:05 CST 2021

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who joined the call today. It is great to see so many of you returning for another season.

Our next call will be on Tuesday, March 2nd. Please send me an email if you need the Teams meeting invitation or call-in number.

Below are the highlights from today's call -

  *   2020 accomplishments: Despite the pandemic, you all made 658 collections, of 283 unique taxa in 11 different states and 28 ecoregions. Thank you thank you thank you for keeping SOS going despite an incredibly challenging year. You are all awesome!
  *   Collector Codes: If you are unsure which collector code to use (or just want to double check) please email me ASAP. I will be going through and updating all the SOS web portal passwords over the next few days and these are based on your Collector Codes, so please let me know if you have any questions.
  *   Target Species Lists: Each team should develop a target species list in coordination with their state and/or ecoregional botanists. These lists are due to the national office by April 30th. A template can be found by going to blm.gov/sos and clicking on "Target Species List Template" on the right side of the page under DOWNLOAD THE SOS FORMS.
  *   Training!: The BLM training through the National Training Center will be virtual this year. The dates for this 2-day training are April 29th and 30th. More details to follow soon. If you need training or a quick refresher before the end of April, please reach out to me. Jess Kindred is also coordinating a Great Basin specific training that will also be in April on the 13, 14, and 15th.
  *   Bend Seed Extractory Update: Bend has been doing a FANTASTIC job throughout the pandemic keeping on top of SOS cleaning and processing. Kayla will send me the results of the tests and balances for the 2020 seed collection lots this spring and I will distribute them to the botanists and teams. This information is helpful if you are collecting the same or similar taxa this year to know how much raw weight is needed to yield a certain amount of pure live seed. If you are curious about these results from past collections, or the 2020 collections, please email me and Kayla and we can help.
  *   Smithsonian Update: Unfortunately, Smithsonian is still unable to receive our herbarium vouchers. Thank you all for continuing to hold onto your 2020 vouchers. Please, if you are moving on, or know of other staff, contractors, interns, etc. who are moving on, make sure the vouchers are left in a secure area and that someone at your office or organization knows what they are, and feel free to pass on my contact information.

Thanks, take care everyone,
Anna

Anna Lindquist

Seeds of Success National Curator