[SOS-PCA] August 2021 Call Notes

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Thu Aug 5 17:20:18 CDT 2021

Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone who called or emailed in updates for this week's call. Our next call is Tuesday, September 7th. If you are finishing up the season and this was your last call, I want to say thank you for all your efforts this season. Not only was it an unprecedented year for drought, but we are still in the midst of a global pandemic! So, thank you all for your continued support of SOS and your hard work to conserve seed, protect native plants, and restore habitat.

Here are the notes from our call:

  *   End of season reporting due to National Office: As you finish the season, the following 3 things should be sent to me at alindquist at blm.gov. 1) data forms, 2) photos, and 3) annual report.
  *   Additionally, you should be entering all your data into the SOS web portal. A few notes on this - only SOS collections are entered into the SOS portal! If you made any collections that are not for SOS, these do not get entered in the portal. You can also export all your collections after you have finished entering data to double check that no fields are missing or incorrect. This is faster than pulling up each entry individually on the screen. If you were not able to see the demo at Tuesday's meeting about how to do this, let me know and I can send you directions. If there are any questions about end of season reporting, please email me.
  *   Shipping: A few collections have showed up at Bend with leaky seeds, particularly coming from the corners of paper bags. Remember to check your corners and seal them with tape on the outside of the bag if needed. Additionally, NO partial shipments! If you collect over multiple days from the same population, please combine all the seeds and mail at the same time. If you cannot ship the collection in its entirety for some reason and need to send it in batches, please let Kayla know.
  *   Vouchers: Smithsonian is still accepting vouchers for now, so please send any remaining 2020 specimens along with this season's shipment. A few folks have asked about making a quality voucher collection given that sometimes we miss the ideal phenological window. If you can still identify the plant based on some sort of characteristic representative of the species, then the specimen is still useful. Consider who might use your specimens in the future, and whether it will be helpful for them; if they can id the species based on your collection, then it's a good voucher. But, if it's just going to be a twig without any identifying features, you will need to revisit the site and collect a voucher next year. If that is the case, please let me know when you submit your end of season reporting, as well as leave a note at your field office for the next season's crew, or for yourself. Thanks to Erika for the great guidance!

Thanks everyone, see you in September!

Best,
Anna

Anna Lindquist