[SOS-PCA] SOS Call Notes, October

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Tue Oct 6 16:13:55 CDT 2020

Hi everyone,

The year is quickly coming to a close, and I know today was the last call for many of you. Thank you for all your hard work - the seeds and data collected this season are invaluable to our national research and restoration efforts, and it's all thanks to you!

Our next call will not be on November 10th. Please let me know if you need a Teams invitation to the meeting.

Here are notes from our October call:

Data Entry and Submission: All data form, portal entries, and photos are due by December 15th. You can use Google drive or you can send files via emails in multiple zipped folders marked 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc.

  *   Please export your data once you are finished entering it to look for any errors or fields you may have forgotten to fill out. Let me know if you’re having any trouble with this. Sometimes there’s a lag between servers, so if you don’t see your data exporting check again the next day.

  *   Please DO NOT submit photos in sub folders! Submit all photos properly labelled, in a SINGLE folder. This expedites our uploading process.

  *   Extra photos of people collecting are always welcome!

  *    Please leave all SOS records in good order, ensuring that datasheets, photos and other records are saved electronically and/or physically at your office, or cooperator's office.

  *   Thank you to everyone who has already submitted documentation. I’ve enjoyed reading about the successes and challenges each team had in the annual reports. If there is ever anything else you would like me to know as we close out the season, please send me an email. I would love to hear your stories, suggestions, or thoughts on the season – especially since we will probably be operating under similar conditions next year, I want to make sure everyone is able to meet their goals.

Clearance Forms: BLM collectors can request the entire remaining balance (any seed over 10,000) be returned or shipped to a cooperator via a Clearance Form (available on the SOS website). Please allow at least 30 days for Bend to process the order. You will need to provide the FedEx shipping code, and a short description of the intended use of the material. If there is no rush to have seed returned to you, please indicate so on the form. You can put “no rush” in as the request by date.  Just be aware that the earliest you can expect seed to be returned is 30 days from the day the seed ARRIVES at Bend. Clearance forms are due to Anna by the end of January.

Notes from Bend: Welcoming Malcolm Howard to the team as Bend’s Seed Operations Assistant! Over 400 SOS collections have arrived at Bend and 38 percent of them have been processed. Please continue to send in your seeds sooner rather than later as there will be fewer staff later in the season.

  *   A note on seed cleaning: If you ever wonder if your seed is clean enough, you can send a picture to Kayla at Bend Seed Extractory. Bend is able to clean most seed in any condition, but ensuring it is clean when it arrives prevents unnecessary damage to the seed, and means they don't have to charge more for extra cleaning.

Notes from Smithsonian: Collection staff are still not allowed in the building, so if you are able to keep your herbarium specimens, please do so. We will be sure to update everyone when this changes.

Survey123 and Tablet Use: We are in discussions to potentially update the SOS protocol to reduce the use of paper datasheets, and instead use a data form which can be accessed by mobile devices, like tablets in the field. We are looking at using Survey123, which is a ArcGIS app that some of you may be familiar with. It sounds like many people would be supportive of this transition and have had positive experiences using Collector or Survey123. We will keep you updated on this project, but if you have any thoughts that you forgot to share, please send me an email.

Thanks!
Anna

Anna Lindquist

Seeds of Success National Curator