[SOS-PCA] When is Poa secunda ripe?

Sarah De Groot sdegroot at rsabg.org
Mon May 18 19:08:34 CDT 2020

Thanks to the many people who replied!

There was quite a lot of variation among the responses, but here's what I
gleaned:
--Best to wait until the inflorescence turns from greenish to tan/brown and
the inflorescence stem is dry. Purplish awns are about 1 week from mature.
--Seeds that are falling easily from the inflorescence are almost certainly
mature, but once the inflorescence is tan, the whole thing can be picked
without much harm to viability.
--Seeds should be stripped from brown inflorescences as much as possible.
Bend can deal with some stems but they should be 6 inches or less. If time
is limited, whole inflorescences can be collected in the field and stripped
later, before sending to Bend.

Last week two of my sites had lovely tan inflorescences with seeds falling
out, so I went to town.

Thanks everyone!

Sarah

California Botanic Garden/Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSA-POM
herbarium)
Claremont, California, USA