[SOS-PCA] May SOS Call - NOTES

Hosna, Rachel rhosna at blm.gov
Thu May 3 09:08:18 CDT 2018

May SOS Call Notes:

There were 14 teams present on the call.

-The SOS data portal website has changed! The link currently on the SOS
website (www.blm.gov/sos) will take you to the new site (
www.seeds-success.org).

-If you need a data portal training, please contact Rachel ASAP. Everyone
attending the SOS training in Fort Collins and interns attending the CLM
training in June will be trained.

- When entering latitude and longitude, please make sure that it is in
degrees minutes seconds and please do not add a negative sign to your
longitude.

-*If you need to change the name of the species you collected AND the seed
has already been shipped to Bend or another facility, you MUST notify the
National Office* so the appropriate nomenclature changes can be made across
all institutions holding SOS seed.

-PLEASE SEND TARGET SPECIES LISTS ASAP

-Please send a copy of your first datasheet to the National Office for
review.

-Yield tool now on the website! The folks at Bend put together a fantastic
handout now under the “Guides and Handouts” section of the website. It will
help your team determine how much raw material is need to meet pure live
seed targets. It also gives great example calculations. If you would like
to see any species added, please let Rachel know. The national office is
prioritizing what species to ask for next, so if you could please send me
your requests, I will put them in the queue!

-Bend – Preliminary test results are in, still waiting on TZ results for
some collections. Please contact Rachel for this information. Please
remember to ship on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday to avoid collections
sitting in a warehouse over the weekend. Please include datasheets and
contact information for someone on your team. *note* new research is
showing that the conditions seeds are kept in prior to cleaning have
significant impacts on seed storage and longevity. Remember to keep your
seed in a cool, dry location and ship as soon as possible (but after proper
drying and pest strip application).

-Smithsonian – no updates

-Everyone is encouraged to send Rachel SOS “success stories” for past
collections! Include the SOS collection number(s), a description or “story”
of how the seed was used (i.e. for a common garden study, grow out/habitat
restoration project, seed increase, etc.), any geospatial data for the site
of deployment (i.e. coordinates for out planting site, common garden site,
etc.), and pictures. More information is always welcome. Please let me know
if you have any questions.

Other announcements:

-The 2nd International Workshop on Seed Longevity will take place in Fort
Collins, CO July 30-August 1st. Please click here
<https://conferencereg.colostate.edu/Registration/Welcome.aspx?e=520FD41625A82F17942890E7E1CC7BF9>
for more information.

-“The Book of Seeds: A Life-Size Guide To Six Hundred Species From Around
the World” by Paul Smith was recently published. It has beautiful
photographs of seeds, including information regarding distribution,
conservation status and uses. Check it out!

*Farewell*

Lastly, I will be leaving this position soon to pursue a graduate degree
and to conduct research related to seeds, soil seed banks and ecological
restoration. My last day will be June 15th.  I am so thankful to have had
the opportunity to work with such an enthusiastic and dedicated group of
people. It has truly been a pleasure working with all of you. Seeds of
Success, with leadership and support from the BLM and its partner
institutions, has made significant contributions to native plant materials
development and restoration efforts in the U.S.; to national and global
seed banking and conservation efforts; and to botanical research worldwide.
This would not be possible without all of your hard work. My sincerest
THANK YOU and I wish you all the best of luck this field season.

Details regarding the SOS National Curator positon will be forthcoming, for
immediate inquiries, please contact Kay Havens, khavens at chicagobotanic.org
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=khavens@chicagobotanic.org>

All the best,

Rachel

--
Rachel Hosna
Seeds of Success
rhosna at blm.gov

Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>
Plant Conservation Alliance <http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>
National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>