[SOS-PCA] SOS Call Notes: June 9th

Haidet, Margaret (Megan) mahaidet at blm.gov
Mon Jun 29 14:56:56 CDT 2015

*SOS Collectors' Call Notes*

*June 9, 2015*

There were 15 participants on the call (many folks were in training this
week).

*Bend Update* – Seed year 2014: About 200 lots left to clean, more than
1800lbs of raw material that was collected through SOS. Collect more than
you think you might need. Sarah has put together some bullet point for
things for folks to remember when they are in the field re: labelling,
shipping, taping, etc. Tested on OR interns and received positively. Seed
collections for 2015 are beginning to arrive. Crew starting in July.

*Update from Megan* – We are busy here in DC working on incorporating the
comments on the National Seed Strategy. The SOS East training session in
Chapel Hill was a great success, as was the Conservation and Land
Management training in Chicago! It was great to meet all of the collectors
for the 2015 season.

*Don’t forget to send data sheets as they are collected* so they can be
entered into the national database throughout the season.

*Call for favorite apps and/or web resources* – Please let me know about
your go-to websites and apps that assist with SOS data collection. These
could help with soils, geology, plant community type or something else. I
will be compiling these and adding them to the SOS webpage.

*Reminder that populus and salix collections are not good for SOS* due to
their rapid loss of viability.

*Assisting NRCS PMCs with plant material:*

*Panicum obtusum collections from NM, AZ, southern CO, southern UT, west TX*
- The ARS Plant Materials Center in Los Lunas, NM is hoping that SOS
collectors may be able to provide some collections of vine mesquite for
common garden studies.

*Please also keep an eye out for **Tripsacum lancelolatum*, Mexican
gamagrass, and report back to me if you find populations. NRCS PMC may try
to reintroduce the species into riparian areas in southwest NM.

*July 7 – next call*

Megan Haidet
Seeds of Success
National Collection Curator