[SOS-PCA] SOS Call Notes: 7/1/14

Haidet, Margaret mahaidet at blm.gov
Wed Jul 16 11:10:00 CDT 2014

SOS Monthly Call: July 1, 2014

There were 33 participants on the call.

*Seed Conference* - On June 30, 2014, leaders from 12 federal agencies met
to renew the Plant Conservation Alliance MOU and discuss working together
on a cohesive interagency seed strategy. For more information about the
meeting you can check out these following reources:

http://www.eenews.net/eenewspm/2014/06/30/stories/1060002177

http://juneauempire.com/outdoors/2014-07-04/native-plant-conservation-mou-renewed-coordination-western-governors-association

http://www.natureserve.org/news-events/news/video-partnership-restore-americas-native-plants

*Data/Web portal - *This tool is still in development. Please send all SOS
data to the National Office, via email to mahaidet at blm.gov. You will be
notified when this process changes. We are hoping it is complete this year.

*No Pest Strips* – Please treat all seed lots with Hot Shot Pest Strips to
avoid insect damage and human health damage for our seed cleaning crew.
Parasitic itch mites often accompany grass species that are received at the
Bend Seed Extractory. All seed material should be quarantined for 48 hours.
Use a large plastic tote bin, include no pest strip, seed, and close the
bin. Each Hot Shot packet can be used all season if you keep them in a
plastic bag so they don’t dry out. Seed can be treated for more than 48
hours without damaging the seed. You can google MSDS Hot Shot Pest Strip to
learn more about the toxicity of this product.

*Photos *– These can be sent on a cd or electronically through GoogleDrive
at the end of the season.

*Clearance forms - *Submit this form to mahaidet at blm.gov to get back any
seed above your 10,000 collection goal. Please allow least 1 month
processing time.  Please do not put ASAP on your clearance form. For
efficiency, feel free to combine multiple requests into one form.

*PLEASE DO NOT COLLECT seed from the genera SALIX OR POPULUS - * These fall
into a category called "sub-orthodox seeds" and are extremely sensitive to
post-collection viability loss. Most of these collections made for SOS have
resulted in zero viability collections, thus we will
be discontinuing collecting them.

*Voucher Question* - * Is Smithsonian interested in vouchers that are not
associated with SOS?* Yes, please include a transmittal notice with all
voucher shipments. Be sure to distinguish between SOS and non-SOS
collections.

Megan Haidet
Seeds of Success
National Collection Curator