[SOS-PCA] collecting buffalo grass seed

Matthew Jahnke jahnk083 at d.umn.edu
Wed Jul 9 15:40:47 CDT 2014

Hello,

I'm a graduate student based out of the University of MN Duluth working for
Project Baseline, a nationwide, NSF-funded seedbanking initiative that has
contributed seeds to SOS in the past (www.baselineseedbank.org).  We are in
our second full season of collecting seeds from a number of species across
their geographic range.  Our seeds will be stored for up to 50 years at the
National Center for Genetic Resources Preservation (NCGRP) in Ft. Collins,
CO.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me information about collecting
buffalo grass (*Bouteloua dactyloides*) seed.  I identified several
populations in the states of NM, OK, TX, CO, and KS in mid-June of this
year that I would like to collect seed from.  These populations were
flowering but I did not notice any mature seed at the time.  Before I
depart on a collection trip to this region, I want to make sure that this
species has mature seed that is ready to collect.

Is there anyone in this region that could provide me an update on buffalo
grass phenology?  Does this species retain its seed for a decent length of
time?  I understand that it has seed "burs", but I have never collected
them before and I'm unsure if they dehisce or are retained for awhile.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Matt Jahnke
Project Baseline