[SOS-PCA] Vouchers, Documentation, & Labels

Clark, Andrew ClarkAP at si.edu
Mon Feb 11 12:06:33 CST 2013

Hi All,

As this project continues and expands I would like to remind all participants that when you ship a set of plant vouchers to the National Herbarium at the Smithsonian please remember a few critical details.

1.       Please, ALWAYS include a letter stating from what institution or BLM office the vouchers are coming from. A template can be found on the SOS website under "Forms & Training Information". Within the letter please indicate the primary contact person for the vouchers and the total number of vouchers being shipped.

2.       Please, ALWAYS include a specimen label with every voucher shipped to the National Herbarium. The National Herbarium is one of the largest collections of its kind in the world, we receive hundreds if not thousands of specimens each week, and creating labels for the Seeds of Success vouchers are really beyond our staff capabilities. A lack of a proper label endangers the scientific value of a voucher and risks wasting many hours and resources of the Seeds of Success participants if a voucher were to be lost or incorrectly attributed. Instructions for creating a proper label can be found on the SOS website under Forms & Training Information: Herbarium Specimen Guidance.

If these instructions have been unclear or you have additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me, I would be pleased to help in any way I can.

Regards,

Andrew Clark

Andrew P. Clark
Loans Officer