[SOS-PCA] Mysterious substance in Penstemon harringtonii

Haidet, Margaret mahaidet at blm.gov
Tue Aug 13 13:30:29 CDT 2013

Please contact Bob if you have any ideas . . .

Hello all,

I received a collection of seed of *Penstemon haringtonii* from Garfield
County CO last week.  There were ebony bugs, *Corimelaena* sp., present
with possible feeding damage on some seed.  What is confusing is the
presence of small (2 mm) netlike "bags" with a seed-like "things" (sorry,
that is the best terminology I have come up with) in them.  I first though
they looked like fly pupae, but when I tried crushing them they were solid,
hard and most definitely not insect pupae.  There were hundreds of them
mixed in with the seed from two or three panicles.

There are two pictures attached.

I am at a complete loss as to what they are or what to call them.  Does
anyone have nay idea what they are?

Thanks much,

Bob

Bob Hammon

Area Extension Agent (Entomology/Agronomy)

Tri River Area Extension

Grand Junction CO

http://wci.colostate.edu

Megan Haidet