[SOS-PCA] Fiscal year 04 accomplishments in Seeds of Success

Carol_Spurrier at blm.gov Carol_Spurrier at blm.gov
Wed Oct 6 17:06:32 CDT 2004

Hi All,

The results of your hard work in fiscal year 2004 are in!  I have been
looking at the latest data  on our seed collections.      From October 1,
2003 through September 2004 we collected:

Of the 374 collections that BLM and our collecting partners sent to Kew, 98
were from plant communities where sagebrush was listed as the habitat or as
one of the associated species.

I also looked at the number of collections by ecoregion since we will have
the data on what was collected available by ecoregion.

And I also looked at collections by state.   I looked at the Bend data for
the year by state since I don't get as much data on the web from them and
could not do the ecoregion sort.

Our other big accomplishment in BLM this fiscal year was signing an
inter-agency agreement with the Agricultural Research Service  (Western
Region Plant Introduction Station) in Pullman, WA to store and distribute
seeds.  The one-half of every seed collection that we sent to the
Millennium Seed Bank will be returning to the US an over to  Pullman soon.
The seeds that will not be returned to the office sending them, that are
stored at the Forest Service Region 6 Seed Extractory in Bend, OR  will
also be going into this new public lands native plant seed collection at
Pullman!

I really appreciate all of the hard work you did this past year.  We are
really starting to make progress.

Carol

Carol Spurrier
Botany Program Lead