[SOS-PCA] Herbarium specimens query

Michael Way M.Way at rbgkew.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 06:19:22 CDT 2004

Dear Kate and team.
You've raised two issues, one on the selection of herbarium
material, one on the labelling of multiple specimens where material
won't fit on a single sheet.  As this may be of general interest, i'll
copy these comments to the PCA-SOS discussion list.

First, we would like to see as many organs represented on the
herbarium specimen as possible, so if the larger, basal leaves of
your plant are required to fully demonstrate the morphology, they
should be included in the specimen.

Large tree and palm specimens, for example, will often require
extensive trimming, and then pressing into several sheets per
specimen, but I doubt that this is necessary for your Galium.  In
this case, selection of a single stem, with root and fruit, neatly
folded zig zag style, should be fine.   If you choose to remove
some leaves to allow more speace for the specimen, don't just pull
leaves off, but trim them so that the petiole (leaf-stalk) attachment
to the stem is preserved.  Any flower or fruits that fall off or that you
need to remove during the pressing, should be carefully placed in a
folded paper pouch or envelope, labelled with the collection number
and retained within the specimen.

Re labelling, I would prefer '1 of 2', '2 of 2' etc if you really need a
second sheet per specimen, but A, B etc would be acceptable if
you have started this already.   Again, keep each specimen to a
single sheet if you can, as each COLLECTION requires at least 4
identical DUPLICATES that can be sent to participating herbaria.  If
you make multiple SPECIMENS per duplicate, we will have a
massive amount of material to track and process.

Finally, you may wish to refer to the general 'voucher' advice from
FLMNH at the following URL

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herbarium/voucher.htm
Let me know if you need more information,

Michael