[RWG] 2,4-d resistant corn

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 11:28:08 CST 2012

Dear Holly, Alison, RWG:

Thank you for bringing up this topic.  The environmental impacts of GM
crops is huge.  . As you have noted, the decrease in "weeds" can interrupt
habitats and ecosystems.   Of course, herbicide resistant crops also mean
more herbicides present on our food

In addition, forest trees are being genetically engineered for cultivation
in monocultures.  Here, engineering for natural pest resistance means the
internal toxins can also destroy microorganisms responsible for soil
fertility.  An infamous example of this is the result of Bt cotton in
India, where fields lost fertility and could not support subsequent crops.
O.k., now imagine this happening to a forest when trees are engineered to
be "pest resistant".     Engineering forest trees for decreased lignin (to
make it easier to process paper) results in weakened trees.  And
these genetically engineered forest trees can hybridize with other forest
trees to pass on the genetic weaknesses.

Introducing these traits through horizontal gene transfer, mixing genetic
material not only from other species, but other genera and even other
kingdoms, disrupts the natural ancestral heritage of these plants,
corrupting their evolutionary history responsible for their resilience
and successful integration with the ecosystem.

It's the end of phylogeny.

There are crops being bred to produce pharmaceutical drugs and human
hormones.   How are these going to affect insects that feed on or pollinate
these plants?

And then there are the "CBI" crops.  CBI = confidential business
information.

There are many more genetically engineered crops than most people imagine.
I will follow this email with a new subject line, showing how to query
which crops are out there.

Thanks for caring about this topic.

best regards,

Gena Fleming