[RWG] Plateau (fwd)

Plant Conservation plant at plantconservation.org
Fri Feb 13 14:46:41 CST 2004

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:35:16 -0800
From: jtasoff <jtasoff at cox.net>
To: CaliforniaWeedTalk at topica.com,
     'Plant Conservation' <plant at plantconservation.org>,
     'California Native Plants' <CA-NATIVES at CALYPTEANNA.COM>
Subject: FW: The Native Grass Manager Online, February 13, 2004

My apologies for the cross posting, but I believe the following is of
extreme importance. Plateau herbicide is fairly specific for Bromus
tectorum (cheatgrass) and spurge. It has not yet been approved for use in
California, but has been used in the prairie states in very successful
restorations of warm weather prairie grasses and forbs. It has been touted
by some sources as the first and only method to control Bromus tectorum,
which in my lay opinion, is the greatest destroyer of our native plant
ecosystem. As to ranchers, it is a means to control cheatgrass, a poor
feed for livestock due to the short period of time that the cattle find it
edible. A byproduct of ranchers eliminating cheatgrass is a widespread
restoration of native grasses and forbs. Additionally, cheatgrass has a
fire regimen of approximately 6 to 8 years and its elimination would help
avoid unwanted fires.

Jack Tasoff
San Pedro, California
jtasoff at cox.net