[PCA] NAA Webinar - Plant Phenology & Changing Forests

Moira McGinty Klos mmcgintyklos at naturalareas.org
Tue Jul 25 07:48:49 CDT 2023

*Getting the Timing Right: Plant Phenology and Mismatch in our Changing
Forests <https://www.naturalareas.org/getting-timing-right.php>*
*Tuesday, August 1, 2023*
*12:00 pm EASTERN*

Join Mason Heberling, Associate Curator of Botany at the Carnegie Museum of
Natural History as he shares ongoing research on some unexpected impacts of
climate change and non-native plants on the future of ecologically
important (and beautiful!) forest wildflowers.

Though small in stature, most species in temperate forests are understory
wildflowers, often far outnumbering trees. The seasonal timing of leaf out,
flowering, and seed production is especially critical for these wildflowers
that depend on a relatively short period of high light in the spring,
before being shaded out by tree leaves. But this period of high light in
the forest understory is changing due to the phenological impacts of
climate change and invasive shrub species. This program will combine
natural history observations first initiated more than 160 years ago by
Henry David Thoreau, insights from the museum’s collections, and current
field and laboratory experiments.

*LEARN MORE <https://www.naturalareas.org/getting-timing-right.php>
         REGISTER
<https://members.naturalareas.org/members/evr/reg_event.php?orgcode=AREA&evid=36370065>*

[image: Getting the Timing Right: Plant Phenology and Mismatch in our
Changing Forests]

[image: Natural Areas] <http://naturalareas.org/>

Moira McGinty Klos (She/Her)

*Director of Programs & Communications *

mmcgintyklos at naturalareas.org
703.328.7481 | PO Box 17646 Pittsburgh, PA 15235