[PCA] In Memoriam, Leonard Thien

Peter Bernhardt peter.bernhardt at slu.edu
Fri Apr 15 11:29:07 CDT 2022

Some of you received the news of the death of my friend and research colleague, Leonard Thien, several months ago. The information was given to Dr. Ollerton who put it on his blog. Attached, please find an essay written by myself and Dr. David White, a former doctoral student of Len's, for the "Plant Science Bulletin" of the Botanical Society of America. It was published online a few days ago but may escape the attention of entomologists who worked with Len and botanists living in other countries. It's appropriate for Len and the season with Asian magnolias and American Illicium in bloom. You are welcome to share it. A few people may remember Len when he visited Sydney and Melbourne. You will see he had strong ties with Saint Louis, and some may recall he was the third John Dwyer Public Lecturer in Biology.

Peter