[PCA] SAVE THE DATE: Plant Conservation Alliance e-Meeting, November 10, 2021, 2-4pm ET, with invited speaker Dr. Lauren Weisenberger of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Park, Margaret E margaret_park at fws.gov
Thu Oct 28 14:19:47 CDT 2021

Please save the date for our last Plant Conservation Alliance general meeting for the year 2021! Held remotely and open to all -- on Wednesday, November 10, 2021, from 2:00 - 4:00 pm ET. Join us in welcoming Dr. Lauren Weisenberger, Botanist of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Pacific Islands Fish and Wildlife Office

***PLEASE RSVP TO ATTEND THIS MEETING – SEE BELOW***
What will you learn?
Laukahi, the Hawaiʻi Plant Conservation Network, was established in 2014, under the umbrella of the Hawaiʻi Conservation Alliance Foundation and supported by private donations and grants from government and private foundations, to implement the Hawaiʻi Strategy for Plant Conservation (HSCP). Laukahi is a voluntary alliance of agencies, organizations, and individuals aiming to protect Hawaiʻi’s plants and their ecosystems through coordinated conservation efforts. A growing number of members help implement the HSPC by supporting our initiatives, conducting field work to protect native habitats, propagating and securing propagules in ex situ facilities, sharing about native Hawaiian plants and their value and needs through outreach and education, and conducting research to inform strategies. Progress on reaching the 20 Targets identified in the HSCP is tracked annually, and an integrated database-dashboard being developed in collaboration with partners at Bishop Museum will be ready to launch by 2022 at laukahi.org. The HSPC, which is based on the Convention on Biological Diversity’s Global Strategy for Plant Conservation 2011-2020 (GSPC), will be reviewed and likely revised after GSPC revisions are made for the coming decade.

About our Speaker:
Lauren Weisenberger began her career in plant conservation in Hawaiʻi at the Lyon Arboretum Seed Conservation Laboratory as a student hire, which grew into a rare plant management position over 14 years as a University of Hawaiʻi contractor to research and stabilize several dozen endangered plant species found on US Army lands on the island of Oʻahu. In 2012, Lauren and a colleague, Matt Keir, were contracted by the National Tropical Botanical Garden to determine whether a plant conservation network in Hawaiʻi would be beneficial. The Hawaiʻi Strategy for Plant Conservation was then drafted and Laukahi, the Hawaiʻi Plant Conservation Network, was established in 2014. In 2016, Lauren started a new position as Plant Recovery Coordinator at the Pacific Islands Fish and Wildlife Office, overseeing recovery efforts for 442 threatened and endangered plant taxa in Hawaiʻi and the Mariana Islands.

***TO ATTEND THIS MEETING, PLEASE***
RSVP by Friday November 5 to margaret_park at fws.gov
The meeting login details will be shared with all respondents via calendar invite and email by Tuesday November 9.

This meeting will be hosted using Microsoft Teams. You will be able to join the meeting from the web or via the Microsoft Teams app<https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads>.

***Information about the presentation is also available on our PCA Meetings page<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plantconservationalliance.org%2Fmeetings&data=04%7C01%7Cmargaret_park%40fws.gov%7C54f9b4f4003947effea408d8d7735348%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637496237609173683%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=3JO0zuDuvM4Tr2IcMqzNgOkIXDKae2ykZVGwvBlsWbU%3D&reserved=0>.***

The PCA general meetings are open to everyone and follow this format:
>Updates on PCA Activities - learn about and get engaged in the Plant Conservation Alliance
>Invited Speaker – a topical presentation to explore any of the six focal areas identified in the PCA National Framework for Progress<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blm.gov%2Fsites%2Fblm.gov%2Ffiles%2Fprograms_natural-resources_native-plant-communities_national-seed-strategy_pca_Framework_6.11.2020.pdf&data=04%7C01%7Cmargaret_park%40fws.gov%7C54f9b4f4003947effea408d8d7735348%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637496237609173683%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=28cnooWaOzPRTqhQnACwmHtfctzYIj9g0a5mFFVkNco%3D&reserved=0>: collaborative conservation; education; restoration; research and development; sustainability; and information sharing
>Native Plants Roundtable - all participants are encouraged to share information on national native plant events and activities

— This meeting is brought to you by the Plant Conservation Alliance Speaker Organizing Team— Gary Krupnick (Smithsonian Institution) / Anne Frances (NatureServe) / Ray Mims (U.S. Botanic Garden) / Krissa Skogen (Chicago Botanic Garden) / Michelle Turton (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service) / Maggie Park (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service)