[PCA] Fw: Standing Up for Native Thistles in Iowa

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Mon Sep 14 07:39:13 CDT 2020

Forwarding this Sept. 12 Xerces news release that may be of interest:

The Xerces Society doesn’t only stand up for underappreciated animals, but also plants!

Native thistles play an important role in our ecosystems and yet, are frequently treated as weeds alongside their nonnative relatives. They occur in a broad range of habitats—pasture grasslands, native prairie remnants, roadsides, idle fields, open woodlands, savannas, and wetlands—and their seeds help sustain enormous flocks of songbirds. The nectar and pollen of these plants draw countless flower visitors, including the federally endangered rusty patched bumble bee. Native thistles also fill an important bloom gap in late-summer and fall, when other flowers may not be in bloom, helping to fuel the monarch migration.

In late 2018, we had an opportunity to give native thistles a boost in Iowa. The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship opened a short window for public comment about the state code that shapes the management of noxious weeds—so we grabbed it and submitted a letter requesting that native thistles be removed from the list of Class B noxious weeds for control and that the only thistles included were nonnative species. Six months later we heard that the weed laws had been rewritten!

Read more in this article on our blog: Standing Up for Native Thistles, by Sarah Nizzi, one of our Farm Bill Pollinator Conservation Planners & NRCS Partner Biologists.

https://xerces.org/blog/standing-up-for-native-thistles

----------

Matthew Shepherd

Director of Communications & Outreach

he/him/his

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect with us @xercessociety on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/xercessociety/>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/xercessociety>, and Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/?hl=en>.

Visit xerces.org<https://xerces.org/> to read our blog<https://xerces.org/blog>, sign up for our e-newsletter<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>, and find out how you can protect invertebrates.

Watch us on YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiPLPJuySOgn6CbjkOxqLQ>.

Support our work: Donate<https://xerces.org/donate/>!

628 NE Broadway, Suite 200,   Portland, OR 97232,   USA

Cell: (503) 807-1577

Office: (503) 232-6639 x110

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org<mailto:matthew.shepherd at xerces.org>