[PCA] Citizens Successfully Enforce Nova Scotia Endangered Species Act

Steve Erickson wean at whidbey.net
Mon Jun 22 16:12:58 CDT 2020

Canadian naturalists have won a lawsuit against the Nova Scotia
provincial government over its failure to obey its Endangered
Species Act.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/06/22/features/how-nova-scotia-naturalists-forced-province-uphold-its-endangered-species-act

The ruling sets two precedents.
“The first precedent is that the Endangered Species Act is
non-discretionary, meaning the province absolutely must fulfill
all its obligations to every listed species — recovery teams,
recovery plans with regular reviews, core habitat, etc.

While unsurprising, this point is remarkably contentious in the
history of species-at-risk legislation. Canada’s Species at
Risk Act was the subject of an Ecojustice lawsuit in 2014, for
example, which ultimately forced the federal government to catch
up on several overdue provisions for various species.

Time and again, ministers across the country have decided not to
apply these acts where inconvenient, largely without backlash.

“The second precedent of note in the Nova Scotia lawsuit was
the right of citizen organizations — in this case, a trio of
naturalist clubs — to take legal action on behalf of at-risk
species. It was argued in court by the province’s lawyer that
naturalists should not have this right, since the act and its
provisions didn’t impact them directly. Justice Brothers
responded to this suggestion specifically in her decision this May.

“(These) species need people like Mr. (Bob) Bancroft
(president of the Federation of Nova Scotia Naturalists) and
organizations like the other applicants and (Ecojustice) to take
such action and speak for them,” she wrote. “It would be
absurd if no person or interested entity could bring such
reviews under the Endangered Species Act to hold government to
account. How else would the mainland moose, ram’s head lady
slipper, Canada warbler, black ash, wood turtle or eastern wood
pewee find protection when and if a government failed to
reasonably execute its duties and responsibilities?”

Simpson said that his naturalist clients were originally very
cautious in launching this lawsuit, but expects their victory
has had the effect of emboldening them and others in the pursuit
of justice.

“What I think this decision has done,” said Simpson, “is
show to these individual citizens … and these non-advocacy
groups, that (legal action) isn’t such a bad thing. It’s
legitimate for (them) to request the assistance of the courts to
uphold the rule of law.”

Soren Bondrup-Nielsen, president of the Blomidon Naturalists
Society, echoed that point earlier this June, saying he and his
board are very willing to return to court if the Lands and
Forestry department doesn’t do what it was instructed to do.

“We’re certainly going to keep our eye on them,” he said.
“I think there’s an appetite among people to not accept the
status quo anymore.”

He said that, in his estimation, the global pandemic presently
upsetting the foundations of modern life has empowered people to
think differently, and to be less complacent about the
shortcomings of society. The Black Lives Matter march in
Wolfville, N.S., which Bondrup-Nielsen and a thousand or so
others attended, made this point very clear to him.

“I think there are so many social and environmental issues
that are coming together, I hope, so that we will see real
change,” he said. “It’s an exciting thought, but maybe
I’m too optimistic. I think the Endangered Species Act is a
step in the right direction. It’s not the solution (to our
biodiversity crisis), but it’s certainly a step.”

~Steve
Whidbey Environmental Action Network
Preservation     Education     Restoration
Box 53, Langley, WA   98260
(360) 579-4202
wean at whidbey.net
www.whidbeyenvironment.org