[PCA] Join Team Buckwheat to save Tiehm's Buckwheat

Naomi Fraga nfraga at calbg.org
Wed Jul 8 12:16:50 CDT 2020

Dear Plant Lover's and Colleagues,

I am writing to ask for a show of support regarding an urgent plant
conservation issue. Tiehm's buckwheat (*Eriogonum tiehmii*) is a narrow
endemic restricted to just 10 acres in western Nevada. It faces an imminent
threat of extinction due to a proposed open pit lithium mine. The threat is
urgent, but we have an opportunity to show support for its protection. Will
you please join me?

I along with the Center for Biological Diversity submitted a petition to
the State of Nevada to protect Tiehm's buckwheat as an endangered species
under state law. We also submitted a petition to the USFWS which is pending
review.

Here is a link to a facts sheet on Tiehm's buckwheat for your review. As
you can see, this is an acute and dire threat, and full protection is
required.
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/plants/pdfs/Tiehms-factsheet.pdf

*I urge you to sign the letter from scientists supporting protection of
this species*. A strong showing of support from the scientific
community will help ensure this species gets protection. You can sign onto
the letter using this google form.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSef9hvpdL9AxdE0PUKi-J_jyPJbuNMSH1OtjNBPii4PkUKHDw/viewform

The Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources is also holding
a virtual public meeting on Tiehm's buckwheat Monday, July 20th, 9:00am
Pacific Time
To Join: https://call.lifesizecloud.com/4236997 Or, call in by phone: (877)
422-8614, Meeting extension: 4236997#
Please RSVP using this form if you can join the meeting:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSesG7B8BcEzCyXeMtDmViu5wr-bdrLEBuXkwH6QnbuqGebOkw/viewform

We are in the midst of a climate and extinction crisis. Our climate
solutions cannot come at the sacrifice of biodiversity.  Please join me to
give Tiehm's buckwheat a voice.

Please pass along this message to other interested scientists.

Thank you!

Naomi
Naomi S. Fraga, Ph.D. (Director of Conservation Programs) • nfraga at calbg.org
Phone (909) 625-8767 ext. 231  •  Fax (909) 626-7670
California Botanic Garden (formerly Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden)
1500 N. College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
https://www.calbg.org/