[PCA] SAVE THE DATE: Plant Conservation Alliance Meeting, Mar. 11, 2-4pm ET, with invited speaker Dr. Pate Marra (RSVP by Mar. 9 or register online to attend remotely)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Fri Feb 28 16:55:31 CST 2020

**The next Plant Conservation Alliance meeting is on Wednesday, March 11th, from 2:00 - 4:00 pm ET.**

This month, the PCA is excited to welcome Dr. Peter Marra, Director of the Georgetown Environmental Initiative, to present "Decline of North American avifauna and the role of native plants in protecting birds.”

In his presentation, Dr. Marra will summarize the results of our recent paper on bird loss and describe several actions that are necessary for recovery including the role of native plants. Slowing the loss of biodiversity across terrestrial and marine biomes is perhaps the greatest conservation challenge we face as environmentalists in the 21st century. Over the past 150 years, vertebrate extinctions have been driven largely by habitat loss, overharvesting and invasive species, but the pervasiveness of current avian declines suggests multiple and interacting causes ranging from habitat loss and change to overharvesting to cat depredation, and identifying which of these factors drives population dynamics is complex and challenging.

We are fortunate to have Dr. Marra presenting in person at NatureServe. Read more about Dr. Marra on the PCA Meetings page<https://www.plantconservationalliance.org/meetings> (https://www.plantconservationalliance.org/meetings)

***This PCA general meeting is open to everyone and follows this basic format:***

>Updates on PCA Activities - learn about and get engaged in the Plant Conservation Alliance

>Invited Speaker – a topical presentation to explore any of the six focal areas identified in the PCA National Framework for Progress<https://www.nps.gov/plants/strategy.htm>: conservation; education; restoration; research and development; sustainability; and information sharing

>Native Plants Roundtable - all participants are encouraged to share information on national native plant events and activities

*****This meeting will be hosted at NatureServe, 2550 South Clark Street, Suite 930, Arlington, VA 22202-3926*****

To Attend in Person: RSVP by March 9

*If you plan to attend this meeting in person, please RSVP to Anne Frances (anne_frances at natureserve.org) by March 9th. NatureServe is located about 10 minutes walking distance from the Crystal City Metro. Metered street parking (2 hour limit) and garage parking ($12-$20 daily) are available but may be limited.*

To Attend by Webinar via Zoom: Registration requested

Please join on a computer or mobile device that will allow you to see the screen. You may use your computer or your phone for audio. PLEASE REGISTER IN ADVANCE (see below).

To register, go to:

https://NatureServe.zoom.us/meeting/register/uZctfu2trTgjJEdQJIkt3oCc0TFiRa7ZAw<https://natureserve.zoom.us/meeting/register/uZctfu2trTgjJEdQJIkt3oCc0TFiRa7ZAw>

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

See attached step-by-step instructions for Zoom and visit Zoom meeting FAQs<https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/200277708-Frequently-Asked-Questions> for additional information:

(https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/200277708-Frequently-Asked-Questions)