[PCA] AmeriCorps position: Communications Associate, Tallgrass Prairie Center

Kristine Nemec kristine.nemec at huskers.unl.edu
Tue Jun 18 15:01:13 CDT 2019

             The Tallgrass Prairie Center at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa would like to host two year-long AmeriCorps positions to help us expand our reach. One of these positions has been filled and we are currently advertising for the other position. We are looking for members who are passionate about environmental conservation, and want to apply and expand their skills in communication, marketing, and networking to help us tell our story and expand our impact.

Each position will offer AmeriCorps members significant professional development opportunities. The Tallgrass Prairie Center is a nationally recognized center for ecological restoration of the tallgrass prairie ecosystem. Our mission is to restore native vegetation, mainly prairie and wetlands, for the benefit of society and the environment, through research, education and technology. We conduct research and provide technical support for roadside vegetation managers, farmers, conservation professionals, and native seed producers. We are also restoring a 77-acre prairie in Benton County for public enjoyment and education. All of these programs have very substantial, concrete impacts on the landscape but we need more capacity to tell our story – not only through traditional print media, but also through our website, social media, and person-to-person interactions at conferences, events and tours. With additional capacity, we could attend more meetings, create more events, and engage more fully with diverse audiences.

The positions will be funded through the Land & Water Stewards branch of the Green Iowa AmeriCorps program. The benefits of the AmeriCorps program include training and certification, individualized professional development opportunities, an education stipend upon successful completion, a monthly living stipend, and leadership experience. For more information about AmeriCorps and to apply, please go to: greeniowaamericorps.org/open-positions<http://greeniowaamericorps.org/open-positions>. Scroll to the bottom of the page to access the September 2019 application. To specify the Tallgrass Prairie Center as your preferred location, select Land & Water Stewards for the program position question, select Cedar Falls for the location, and mention the Tallgrass Prairie Center in one of the written questions. If you are selected for a host site interview, please be prepared to submit a writing sample such as a press release, blog post, newspaper, newsletter, or magazine article, or other sample using a journalistic writing style. The full consideration date for this position is July 15, 2019.

Open communications associate position (September 2019 to August 2020)

Skills

  *   Interest in native plant restoration
  *   Passion for helping environmental causes
  *   Strong writing skills
  *   Strong marketing skills
  *   Teamwork skills
  *   Good interpersonal communication skills
  *   Attention to detail
  *   Good record-keeping skills
  *   Organizational skills
  *   Comfortable interacting with a variety of people from different backgrounds and age groups
  *   Comfort working independently in rural environments
  *   Experience with different social media platforms
  *   Experience with manipulating video
  *   Self-motivated
  *   Punctual
  *   Accountable
  *   Experience with digital photography, appropriate lighting and composition desired
  *   Knowledgeable of Google applications including Google Calendars, Google Documents preferred

List of Duties

  *   Communications Associate (county roadside vegetation program; supervisor is Kristine Nemec)

  *   Travel to county roadside offices in Iowa
  *   Write articles for newsletters or newspapers
  *   Write case studies about successful programs
  *   Manage the roadside program part of the TPC website
  *   Manage social media
  *   Take pictures of roadsides and people to be used in outreach
  *   Help to establish a presence at conferences by staffing display tables; some overnight travel to conferences or workshops within Iowa (up to 10-15 nights total over the length of the position)
  *   Assist with organizing and distribution of native seed at the annual county seed pick up
  *   Assist with organizing the annual roadside conference
  *   Assist with workshops that may be held to build community support for county roadside programs
  *   Attend staff meetings
  *   Orientation to all TPC programs, projects, and staff
  *   Orientation to all TPC partnerships and Friends group
  *   Assist other TPC programs, projects, and staff at times

 --
Kristine Nemec
Integrated Roadside Vegetation Management Program Manager