[PCA] PCA March 15, 2018 Meeting Notes

Prescott, Leah lprescott at blm.gov
Thu Mar 15 09:02:49 CDT 2018

All,

The Plant Conservation Alliance would like to thank Margaret O’Gorman for
her inspiring presentation on “Private Sector Involvement in Conservation
Action”.  For those of you who were unable to attend please feel free to
email Leah Prescott (lprescott at blm.gov
for a copy.

A few updates and announcements from the March 14th meeting:

·         Mid Atlantic Regional Seed Bank’s Survey, *Native Plant and Seed
Use in the Eastern United States
<http://www.marsb.org/sosmemberinfo/survey-native-plant-and-seed-use-in-the-eastern-u-s/>*,
is now open! This survey was developed through a cooperative effort between
Seeds of Success East and University of Maryland Extension. The survey will
take approximately 15 minutes to complete. It is open to all professionals
that use native plants and/or seeds in the landscape in any state East of
the Mississippi River.

·         If you are interested in presenting at a PCA meeting, or would
like to suggest future speakers, please send contact information to Leah
Prescott (lprescott at blm.gov) as we are continuously planning future
meetings.

Upcoming Events:

·         SYMPOSIUM: The 3rd California Chaparral Symposium: Global Change
and the Vulnerability of Chaparral Ecosystems Date/location: Monday, May
14, 2018 8:30 AM  - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:30 PM Angeles Training and
Conference Center701 North Santa Anita Avenue Arcadia, CA, 91006. Free,
registration required
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-3rd-california-chaparral-symposium-global-change-and-the-vulnerability-of-chaparral-ecosystems-registration-43458375170

·         SYMPOSIUM: Smithsonian Botanical Symposium: "Plants in the Past:
Fossils and the Future". May 18, 2018, National Museum of Natural History
and the U.S. Botanic Garden, Washington, DC. To register and for more
information visit http://botany.si.edu/sbs/

·         CONFERENCE: Center for Plant Conservation National Meeting, May 3
– 5, 2018 at Botanical Research Institute of Texas, 1700 University Drive,
Fort Worth, TX 76107. For more information and to register
https://saveplants.org/events/ Early Bird pricing ends April 2nd.

·         We encourage PCA cooperators to post meetings, webinars, and
research on the PCA listserv as we continue our collaborative mission to
protect native plants by ensuring that native plant populations and their
communities are maintained, enhanced, and restored. Listserv information
can be found at https://pca.sites.usa.gov/get-involved/

***The next Plant Conservation Alliance meeting will be held on Wednesday,
May 11, 2018, our guest speaker will be Gary Krupnick, Head of the Plant
Conservation Unit, Department of Botany at the Smithsonian National Museum
of Natural History to present “The Immense Value of Scientific Collections
in Conservation Research”***

Thank you!

--
Leah Prescott
Bureau of Land Management

National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance <http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>
Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>