[PCA] Update: "Exploring the Natural World: Plants, People and Places" - Smithsonian Botanical Symposium, May 19, 2017 - Washington DC

Krupnick, Gary KRUPNICK at si.edu
Thu Mar 9 10:50:06 CST 2017

We are pleased to announce the confirmed invited speakers for the 15th Smithsonian Botanical Symposium to be held May 19, 2017, at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC:
Confirmed Speakers
Janet Browne (Harvard University)
Jacques Cayouette (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Javier Francisco-Ortega (Florida International University)
Pamela Henson (Smithsonian Institution Archives)
Eliane Norman (Stetson University)
Megan Raby (University of Texas at Austin)
Daniel Stone (National Geographic Magazine)
Charles Williams (The André Michaux International Society)

We are also offering  optional behind-the-scenes tours of the Joseph F. Cullman 3rd Library of Natural History. The tours will give you the chance to see the original books that early naturalists and explorers wrote about their travels and discoveries. Three tours will be offered with limited capacity. Please visit http://botany.si.edu/sbs and click on "Tours" for more information.

We are accepting abstracts for poster presentations. Space is limited. The abstract deadline is April 14th.

There is no registration fee to attend the Symposium, but attendees must register online. Visit the website<http://botany.si.edu/sbs/> or email sbs at si.edu<mailto:sbs at si.edu> for more information.

Smithsonian Botanical Symposium
May 19, 2017
Washington, D.C.
http://botany.si.edu/sbs/

"Exploring the Natural World: Plants, People and Places"
Presented by the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, Department of Botany
In collaboration with the United States Botanic Garden

History hides behind our garden and museum displays. Plants and artifacts can be themselves objects of wonder, but scratch the surface and every item on display or curated for scientific study has a deeper story as to how it was collected and came to be included in our mostly urban cultural institutions. Large sponsored expeditions or even just curious individuals set off to explore remote corners of the world, and brought back plants, animals, and other natural history treasures. Often the focus was on a particular route or region. Sometimes circumstance caused an individual to take up residence in an unfamiliar part of the world and day-to-day observations of the new environment lead to discoveries that were sent home to eager audiences. Every garden, museum, and herbarium collection has and continues to grow through a delightful and maddening combination of purpose and accident.

The 15th Smithsonian Botanical Symposium, hosted by the Department of Botany and the United States Botanic Garden, will highlight the history of exploration undertaken by individuals and groups with an emphasis on exploration of the Americas. Several of our presentations are based on recently-published books or books in preparation.

Program Schedule:
Friday, May 19
  9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.  Lectures and Discussion, Baird Auditorium, National Museum of Natural History
  6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.  Closing Reception and poster session, United States Botanic Garden