[PCA] PCA Meeting: 11 Jan. 2017

Lindsey Riibe riibe.lindsey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:21:59 CST 2017

Attached is a PDF of Beth Ginter’s presentation from Wednesday’s PCA
meeting. Thank you to everyone who participated for your patience as we
worked through various technical difficulties. Below are a few upcoming
events and announcements from meeting attendees.

- Earth Optimism Summit on Earth Day, April 2017: EarthOptimism.si.edu
The purpose of this summit is to give people hope. The conference will be
at the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, DC with public events taking
at Smithsonian museums on the National Mall, the National Zoo, the
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in Edgewater, Maryland, and the
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama. There will also be
satellite events and viewing parties (see website for more info)

- The 2017 Botanical Symposium (Smithsonian) theme is plant discovery and
plant exploration

- At the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, there is a new exhibit space
open for putting up educational materials about plants.  Focus will be
seeds.  There will be a panel about the National Seed Strategy.

- Greg Miller is the new president of NatureServe. They will have an open
house/meet-and-greet on Feb. 16 at 5:30 PM (after the Native Seed
Conference) in Ballston, VA

- The annual NatureServe conference, Biodiversity without Boundaries 2017,
will be April 9 -13 in Ottawa, Canada
http://www.natureserve.org/news-events/events/biodiversity-without-boundaries-2017

- The Future of American Ginseng and Appalachian Forest Botanicals
Symposium is July 12-14 in Morgantown, WV.
https://www.unitedplantsavers.org/the-future-of-ginseng-and-forest-botanicals

- Evelyn Williams is the new PCA non-federal committee coordinator at
Chicago Botanic Garden! You can contact her at:
info at plantconservationalliance.org

- There are several state-level Plant Conservation Alliances (the Georgia
Plant Conservation Alliance has been operating for over 20 years
http://www.gpca.uga.edu/, and now Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and other
states have formed PCAs) as well as regional alliances (Center for
Southeastern Conservation), forming important networks at local levels and
promoting cooperative actions for plant conservation. There is also the
Native Plant Conservation Campaign, a network of plant societies and other
native plant conservation organizations throughout the United States
http://plantsocieties.cnps.org/