[PCA] Isoaltion Distances

Gregory Houseal gregory.houseal at uni.edu
Wed Jan 4 21:12:57 CST 2017

We looked at this issue several years ago as part of the Native Species
Committee at Iowa Crop Improvement Assoc.  There is a fair amount of
literature on congeneric hybridization in native genera including Gentiana,
Baptisia, Silphium, Echinacea, Asters, Liatris, etc.  Fortunately, even
when it occurs, it seems to be at a low level, generally, and resulting
hybrid seed may have poor viability.  But hybrids do occur. I've observed
hybrid forms in remnants as well as in seedlings propagated from remnant
collected seed. We took a conservative approach and isolated congeneric
species known to hybridize by the same distance as same species/different
sources.  Previously isolation between different species was only 15 feet,
regardless of potential to hybridize.