[PCA] NEWS: NatiVeg Plant Selection Tool

Gregory Houseal gregory.houseal at uni.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:42:06 CST 2016

Seems to be a geographically referenced compendium of USDA PMC releases.
Iowa source-identified releases are represented, at least up until the
Plant Materials Center programs stepped away from source ID releases in
early 2000's.  We co-released several species and sources with Elsberry PMC
up until that point. We've released several other species and sources since
that time, including several sedge species (Carex), and now working with a
few native prairie shrubs, but they won't be represented in this data base.

Also, simply because germplasm was released for production, doesn't mean it
is either still in production or certified. This is true for varietal
material as well as Source ID.

Greg Houseal
Program Manager, Natural Selections Seed
Tallgrass Prairie Center
University of Northern Iowa
2412 W 27th Street
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0294
319-273-3005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Rob Fiegener <rob at appliedeco.org> wrote:

> Stephen, you must be referring to the Audubon tool, as the NatiVeg tool
> doesn’t cover the western states.  The Audubon tool is based on Biota of
> North America data, and the NatiVeg tool is based on NRCS Plant Materials
> data.  In defense of the NatiVeg tool, there is a disclaimer and a
> statement about seeking local recommendations.  The tool could better serve
> restoration interests if it had better data, and I understand they would
> fully embrace expanding the database with local knowledge. [I’m not
> involved with NatiVeg in any way, but I have talked to them about it.]
>
> I am currently working on a similar tool as an update to the maps and
> lists on the Native Seed Network, with place-based species lists and a
> directory of commercially available native seed, linked to seed vendors.
> It is challenging to provide good lists for large geographic areas, and
> obviously it is really important to have input from local experts.  I’m
> glad to see the level of interest in this, and look forward to tapping into
> the knowledge of local experts like yourselves to help me refine the lists
> on the Native Seed Network.
>
>   Rob
>

> Rob Fiegener
> Native Seed Network
> Institute for Applied Ecology
> desk 541.753.3099 x201
> mobile 541.760.2253
> www.nativeseednetwork.org
> www.appliedeco.org
>
> See you at the 2017 National Native Seed Conference! nativeseed.org
>

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Stephen Rae <stephen.rae at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just tested for zip code covering Napa Valley CA and selected contiguous
>> valleys. The 45 species listed included 44 natives common in the area and 1
>> from elsewhere. The 44 are currently used in wildlife/bee, native and
>> drought tolerant gardens here. No cultivars were included. Several of the
>> recommended were recently planted in my garden when we transitioned to a
>> low water demand yard. They were recommended by the designer and readily
>> available in the trade. The tool works here.
>>
>> Stephen P. Rae, Ph.D.
>> Botanist-Bryologist
>> Napa Valley CA
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 6:22 AM Randall, John L <jrandall at email.unc.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting – I tested the NatiVeg link for a forb in my Piedmont NC
>>> area and it gave me a Helianthus species CULTIVAR introduced from the
>>> Western US. I am not impressed.
>>>

>>> Johnny Randall
>>>

>>> Johnny Randall, Ph.D.
>>>
>>> Director of Conservation Programs
>>>
>>> North Carolina Botanical Garden
>>>
>>> CB 3375
>>>
>>> UNC-Chapel Hill
>>>
>>> Chapel Hill NC 27599
>>>
>>> Office – 919-962-2380 <(919)%20962-2380>
>>>
>>> Cell – 919-923-0100 <(919)%20923-0100>
>>>
>>> www.ncbg.unc.edu
>>>
>>> [image: ncbg_logoEMAIL]

>>> communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection