[PCA] Wild and Woods-Grown American Ginseng

Thomas Avery Garran tag.plantgeek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 01:40:31 CDT 2016

Dear All,

I am new to this group, so I will briefly introduce myself. I am an
herbalist, trained in both Western and Chinese herbal medicine (over 25
years), turned researcher; I am also trained in the sciences. I am
currently doing research at the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences:
Center for Chinese Materia Medica Resources in Beijing, China.

I am considering a proposal to investigate American Ginseng by comparing
woods-grown to wild ginseng (Panax quinquifolius). I would like to look at
several native ecotypes and preferably both the same and different ecotypes
being cultivated using "woods-grown" techniques. I will be looking at both
genetics and chemistry of the plants.

It is my understanding that most of the seed that is available for
commercial purchase is a mixture of various ecotypes (and chemotypes),
which does confuse things a bit. Does anyone have any insight into this? I
have not seen any literature that discusses the impending genetic
bottleneck that is likely to result from this practice, is there anyone
here who is aware of such work?

My primary hurdles are finding people who are doing woods-grown cultivation
where there is also an adequate wild population, and getting enough fresh
material for genetic analysis. I am sure I can get sufficient funding for
this project, and I would want to acquire samples from at least 4-5
different regions within its native range. I already have one area in
northern Illinois secured.

Anyone out there think they might be able to connect me with growers and
pickers in specific locations?

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Avery Garran (林青陽)
中國中醫科學院 中藥資源中心
地址:北京市東直門內南小街16號 100700
電話:0086 186 0038 8859
China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences:

Center for Chinese Materia Medica Resources

No 16 Nan xiao jie, Dong zhi men nei, Beijing, China 100700

Cell: 0086 186 0038 8859