[PCA] Native Spotlight from Washington Gardener: Indian Pink (SPIGELIA MARILANDICA)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed Jul 8 09:53:11 CDT 2015

Native Spotlight from Washington Gardener Magazine
(the publication for MD, DC, and VA area gardeners) Wednesday, June 10, 2015
*Guest Blog by Rachel Shaw *
*Spigelia marilandica*, common name Indian Pink or Pink Root, is a handsome
addition to the native plant garden. Mine are planted in shade next to
White Turtlehead (*Chelone glabra*) and two years after planting are
filling in nicely. They are blooming now, and having just read that the
blooming season can be extended by removing spent flowers, I went out to do
so and found that most dead blooms had obligingly dropped off without my
help. I also learned recently from reading Rick Dark and Doug Tallamy’s *The
Living Landscape *that *Spigelia*’s seeds are dehiscent, propelling the
seed capsules some distance to start new seedlings. I haven’t seen this
kind of spread yet, but I expect I will, as much of what I grow manages to
get itself spread to other parts of the yard.

*Spigelia* is said to be very attractive to hummingbirds. Again something I
haven’t observed yet in my own yard, but between it and the Cardinal Flower
(*Lobelia cardinalis*) growing nearby, I’m on the lookout. Even if it had
no other obvious benefit than its beautiful and unusual flower, I would
still be delighted to have added this native to my own small landscape.

See the blog:
http://washingtongardener.blogspot.com/2015/06/native-spotlight-indian-pink.html

*About the author:*
Rachel Shaw focuses on vegetable gardening and growing native plants in her
small yard in Rockville, Maryland. She blogs at
http://hummingbirdway.blogspot.com/.

More information about Washington Gardener magazine:

Kathy Jentz
Editor/Publisher
*Washington Gardener Magazine*
826 Philadelphia Ave.