[PCA] FW: NEWS: The monarch massacre: Nearly a billion butterflies have vanis...

Steve Erickson wean at whidbey.net
Fri Feb 13 16:13:13 CST 2015

A few comments:

Buddleia’s on the market being sold as sterile are not
exclusively so. That is, they still produce some viable seed.
The Oregon Dept, of Agriculture, for example, has a policy of
approving cultivars marketed as sterile that produce “produce
less than two percent viable seeds”. http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/NurseryChristmasTree/Pages/ButterflyBush.aspx

Seed production is abundant (3 million seeds/ plant has been
reported:
http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=650). So,
even 2% viable seed can amount to 10s of thousands of seeds.

  Buddleia davidii seed is relatively small, i.e. frequently
described as “dust like,” and can be spread by wind and rats
(see:
http://manoa.hawaii.edu/hpicesu/DPW/rbt_files/rat/2010rat4.pdf).
Simply because not very may seedlings appear on this person’s
property (property size?) does not mean that the plant(s) are
not successfully reproducing from seed elsewhere. I’ve
observed probable spread from seed voer a distance of about 1/4
mile through a forested area (in low elevation coastal
Washington State).

Breeding induced sterility may not persist over time. See this discussion:
http://nativeplantwildlifegarden.com/developing-sterile-invasives-why-bother/

Finally, the states this “seller” of Buddleia states she
will ship to include numerous states where Buddleia is
recognized as invasive - even if it is legal to import the
plant. See, i.e. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/weeds/butterfly_bush.pdf

And getting back to the original issue (the proposed ESA listing
of Monarch Butterflies), if the spread of herbicide resistant
GMO crops is the threat, this may be the only mechanism under US
law to address that threat. I’m curious if anyone else knows
of a possible alternative route?

-Steve

wean at whidbey.net
www.whidbeyenvironment.org