[PCA] Update

Sophia Shaw Siskel ssiskel at chicagobotanic.org
Sat Oct 5 14:04:16 CDT 2013

Dear Plant Conservation Alliance NGO Committee Colleagues,

Thank you to all of you who conveyed your support for the Native Plant Conservation Initiative (NPCI) this summer.  I am pleased to report that during a visit to Washington, DC, two weeks ago, my colleagues and I had very productive conversations with leaders at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF).

While NFWF is not reinstating the NPCI program, we are working with them to help develop language for upcoming RFPs that will enhance the inclusion of plants in "keystone" projects including the new "Northern Great Plains" initiative and other restoration initiatives. We also discussed securing representation from the "plant world" on their board (this will be a long process) and scientific staff. Being able to include a botanist on the review panels would be very helpful.  I am attaching the official PCA (NGO) letter I sent to NFWF about the NPCI program for your information--this letter includes the testimonies of the participating NGO organizations.

At our meetings with USFWS, we were introduced to Elsa Haubold, the newly hired National Landscape Conservation Cooperative (LCC) Coordinator.  We discussed with Director Ashe the continued need to include plants in the definition of wildlife.  Our goal will be to continue to discuss how USFWS can include plants in their work (or at least do no harm to them).  We also talked with Director Ashe about NPCI, and the inclusion of plants in the State Wildlife Action Plans, and the LCCs.

Our meetings with the Bureau of Land Management were also productive.

Additionally, we have been meeting with board members and colleagues at zoos and other wildlife-conservation-related NGOs in an effort to heighten the importance of plants in the larger “umbrella discussions” of species and ecosystem protection and restoration.  I encourage you all to do the same.  It is incredible to discover how many people committed to conservation do not understand that plants play an important role in animals' web of life (not to mention being important in and of themselves).  But we can change that through patient conversation.

As you all know, none of this is simple work that will immediately yield increased exposure, funding, or general support for plants.  However, working together--and with our colleagues across many conservation-minded organizations--to increase people's understanding that all life depends on plants will allow us to make progress.  Should you have any suggestions for ways that we can better communicate our message--or people with whom I should meet, please do not hesitate to write or call me.

Sincerely,

Sophia Shaw Siskel

Chair, Non-Governmental Organizations Committee, Plant Conservation Alliance

and

President & CEO
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road