[PCA] Orchid Conservation Coalition (OCC)

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Jul 18 08:50:13 CDT 2012

The Orchid Conservation Coalition (OCC) is a grassroots organization made
up of people, orchid societies, and orchid businesses dedicated to raising
awareness and money for orchid conservation. It is through networking that
people and organizations concerned with orchid conservation can be the
most effective. The exchange of information among participants and
non-profit orchid conservation organizations will make conservation a real
aspect of orchid growing for the average orchid grower and orchid society.
They can actively engage in and contribute to orchid conservation.

Learn more about the OCC at: http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/

---------------------------------
The following updates are sent Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) at most bi-monthly.
If you want to receive future updates, directly e-mail:
information at orchidconservationcoalition.org

Mark Sullivan
Administrator
1% for Orchid Conservation
Orchid Conservation Coalition
http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/
AOS Conservation Committee Member

---------------------------------
1% for Orchid Conservation Update 24
Summary of News:

1. OCC Conservation slide show free for download
2. Orchid Conservation in Crete Article
3. New Hampshire Orchid Society starts Conservation Fund
4. American Orchid Society's "Help Save the Myrtle Head Savanna Orchids
   Campaign" closer to its Goal
5. Native Orchid Conservation in Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula
6. OCC Donation Totals for 2011
7. Orchid Show Conservation Displays

1. The OCC first Conservation slide show available for Orchid Society
meetings
The slide show touches on issues of habitat loss and orchid conservation
in Pennsylvania, USA, Sumatra, Indonesia; restoration at Jardìn Botà nico
las Orquìdeas Ecuador; conservation at EcoMinga Foundation, Ecuador and
at GROWISER, Oregon, USA.. The show is narrated and runs automatically on
a computer and can be projected onto a screen or to a TV.

For more information and download links:
http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/slideshows.html

The slide show can be download for free. If you want a CD of it you can
order it at cost. All information at the above link.

Screen Shots:

2. The Orchids of Crete and their Conservation Article

The Greek island of Crete is botanically very rich, with a wide variety of
habitats and a high level of endemism (approx.9%). However, conservation
both of habitats and species has a low priority, especially in the current
economic climate. Many orchid-rich meadows, particularly in coastal areas
are being destroyed for building purposes, in response to the demand for
property by Russian and Middle-Eastern developers.

http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/pr/flowersofcrete.html

Orchis italica © Paul Harcourt Davies

Flowers of Crete  http://www.flowersofcrete.info/

Mission Statement:

"To heighten awareness of the endangered native flowers of Crete, with the
aim to conserve and protect species and their environment for future
generations."

3. New Hampshire Orchid Society starts Conservation Fund

http://www.nhorchids.org/index.php?page=conservation-grants

The New Hampshire Orchid Society has begun a formalized conservation
initiative with the goals of supporting orchid conservation locally,
regionally, and globally.

The New Hampshire Orchid Society Conservation Committee is pleased to
announce our grant program. This program is intended to provide funds for
creative projects directly involved with and benefiting the broad mission
of orchid conservation, which shall be the greatest consideration for
funding decisions. This is an opportunity for both individuals and
organizations to be specific in requesting funds.

Application Deadline: Ongoing applications are accepted.

4. American Orchid Society Help Save the Myrtle Head Savanna Orchids
Campaign

Help Save the Myrtle Head Savanna Orchids Campaign nears its goal

Goal: $10,040
Appeal Activity Report: 8/1/2011 thru 5/25/2012
Amount Raised: $8093.00
Supporters: 76 gifts from 56 donors

For more information and to make a contribution:
http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=426

5. Native Orchid Conservation in Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Wisconsin's natural communities provide habitat for approximately 50
native orchid species and over 600 state natural areas where many orchid
species are found. I am involved with a small group of native orchid
enthusiasts,Friends of Carney Fen, a small group of native orchid
enthusiasts, share their methods of orchid conservation including
preservation, propagation and restoration of habitat locally and in the
nearby Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/pr/friendsofcarneyfen.html

6. OCC Donation Totals for 2011

$ 16,572.65 Australian Dollars
$ 16,737.86 Canadian Dollars
? 12,982.23 European Union Euro
$ 214,952.98 Mexico Peso
$ 105,516.30 Trinidad and Tobago Dollar
£ 10,444.25 UK Pound
$ 16,587.09 US Dollars

Total Donations since start

$ 75,099.55 Australian Dollars
$ 71,376.40 Canadian Dollars
? 48,608.42 European Union Euro
$ 849,600.84 Mexico Peso
$ 430,190.15 Trinidad and Tobago Dollar
£ 43,089.59 UK Pound
$ 67,645.25 US Dollars

Plus Impact

$ 102,255.00 US dollars

7. Orchid Show Conservation Displays

If Orchid Societies have a conservation information table or display at
their orchid show, take a picture and send it to me. Also if you have any
suggestions you would like to share with other orchid societies in putting
together an orchid conservation display, let me know.

This display was made by David McAdoo for the Triad Orchid Society's
(Greensboro, NC) show along with a handout that lists the species in the
state. This is the 2011 edition. David McAdoo is one of the founders of
the Native Orchid Conference.

---------------

1% for Orchid Conservation Update 23

Hello All,

Summary of News:

1. The Green Swamp, NC Article in AOS Orchids
2. Article about Orchid Conservation in Crete in Orchid Digest
3. The Tucuman Parrot Reserve: Plant (Orchid) Inventory
4. Brokenhead Wetland Ecological Reserve Boardwalk Funded
5. Orchid Conservation Alliance 2012 Conservation Calendar for sale
6. Gurukula Botanical Sanctuary Course
7. Orchid Quest 2012 - Orchid Growers' Guild Madison, WI
8. Pacific Orchid Exposition 60th Anniversary, "A Salute to the Golden
Gate"
9. Orchid Show Conservation Displays
10. Starting a Local Native Orchid Information Database- Ottawa Orchid
Society example.
11. Reminder- March 1, 2012 is the date we are shooting for participating
orchid societies to give their 2011 1% FOC donation to the orchid
conservation project or organization of their choice.

1.The Green Swamp, NC Article

This article was published in August, 2011 AOS Orchids. The online article
features 325 outstanding photos by 10 photographers giving you an in depth
look of the Green Swamp. The article goes into the conservation challenges
faced in saving this amazing habitat. Many of the conservation challenges
faced in the green swamp are also threatening other habitats around the
world.

http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/hl/greenswampnc.html

Calopogon tuberosus in front of pitcher plants © Skip Pudney

2. The Orchids of Crete and their Conservation to appear in the upcoming
Orchid Digest (1st quarter of 2012)

This article is an on the ground look at orchid and flower conservation on
the island of Crete.

Features spectacular photos by 5 photographers.

Look for it in the Orchid Digest.

Ophrys © Paul Harcourt Davies

3. The Tucuman Parrot Reserve: Plant (Orchid) Inventory

Cloud forests extend along the eastern slope of the mountain ranges of the
Andes -- the Southern Yungas -- between Bolivia and Argentina. The
Southern Yungas ecosystem is characterized by great biological diversity
(as diverse, perhaps, as the tropical rain forest) and is considered one
of the most threatened ecosystems in Bolivia. The Southern Yungas have
been poorly studied botanically.
Asociacion Armonía is seeking donation(s)of $900.00 to do a plant
inventory of this reserve. For more information:

http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/pr/tucumanparrot.html

4. Brokenhead Wetland Ecological Reserve receives funds to build a
boardwalk and interpretive trail

Congratulations to Debwendon Inc and the Native Orchid Conservation, Inc.
(NOCI) for funding for their project.

"The premier noted, Eugene Reimer, a long-time naturalist and board member
of Native Orchid Conservation Inc., has donated $600,000 to the Winnipeg
Foundation to establish the Eugene Reimer Environment Fund. The fund will
provide an annual grant to Debwendon to maintain the Brokenhead Wetland
Interpretive Trail. "It brings me great joy and satisfaction to make a
contribution towards protecting these wetlands where I spent so many happy
hours enjoying and learning about nature," said Reimer."

Thank You Eugene Reimer.

More information: http://www.nativeorchid.org/BrkndAnn1.htm
Additional information at: http://www.debwendon.org/
http://www.nativeorchid.org/
http://www.orchidconservationcoalition.org/pr/brokenheadtrail.html

5. Orchid Conservation Alliance 2012 Conservation Calendar for sale

With numerous photos from famed orchid photographer Ron Parsons, this
beautiful calendar will grace your wall throughout 2012. Each calendar is
11" x 8.5" and includes images of twelve lovely orchid species, many of
which are endangered in the wild. All proceeds from the sale of this
calendar will support the conservation activities of the OCA. The cost of
each calendar is only $8.50 and includes shipping. If you'd like to
purchase more than 10 calendars, please contact us and ask about quantity
pricing.

http://www.orchidconservationalliance.org/

6. Gurukula Botanical Sanctuary Course

On Jan 1st, 2012, Gurukula Botanical Sanctuary (GBS) will launch Programme
1 of the Landscapes and Lifeskills Course. Please know that this 5 month
course is a partnership between GBS and Himal Prakriti, and this year, a
number of other related groups in the Western Ghats as well.

Payment will be decided on a case by case basis. For people staying in the
valley in the open air dwelling with the rest of the group, the fee
requested is Rs. 1000/day. For those staying at the main GBS area, the fee
requested is Rs. 2000/day. All money over and above the cost of the
programme will go towards supporting native plant species or young persons
of rural and adivasi origin who cannot afford this fee.

Link to the online brochure:
http://www.gbsanctuary.org/articles/Landscapes_Lifeskills.pdf

or e-mail Suprabha Seshan at jungler at gmail.com

7. Orchid Quest 2012 - Orchid Growers' Guild Madison, WI
Orchid Qu
est 2012, sponsored by the Madison Orchid Growers' Guild, will be held at
Exhibition Hall the Alliant Energy Center, 1919 Alliant Energy Center Way,
Madison, WI. The show is Saturday February 4, 10AM to 5 PM and Sunday
February 5, 10 AM to 4 PM.

http://www.orchidguild.org/orchidquest.html

8. Pacific Orchid Exposition 60th Anniversary, "A Salute to the Golden
Gate"

The Pacific Orchid Exposition, held at Fort Mason Center's Festival
Pavilion on February 23-26, is themed "A Salute to the Golden Gate". The
iconic San Francisco structure is celebrating its 75th anniversary and the
Pacific Orchid Exposition (POE) will partner up to showcase orchid
displays in true San Francisco fashion.

Date/Time: Thurs, February 23 (Gala Benefit) - 6:30pm - 10:00pm
Fri, February 24 - 10am - 6pm
Sat, February 25 - 9am - 6pm
Sun, February 26 - 10am - 5pm

http://www.orchidsanfrancisco.org/poe.html

9. Orchid Show Conservation Displays

If Orchid Societies have a conservation information table or display at
their orchid show, take a picture and send it to me. Also if you have any
suggestions you would like to share with other orchid societies in putting
together an orchid conservation display, let me know.

Laurie White from the Gruene Orchid Society won best conservation exhibit
at the Alamo Orchid Society "Orchid Fandango" show/ American Orchid
Society's Fall 2011 Meeting. She had help from Joe Liggio a co-author of
The Wild Orchids of Texas.

10. Starting a Local Native Orchid Information Database- Ottawa Orchid
Society example.

Not too long ago one of our Ottawa Orchid Society members made an
observation that we post many images of orchids on our web site and in our
newsletter but do not have any information on our local wild orchids. Why
don't we have such information on our website? Good question. I guess no
one had really given this much thought. After a bit of discussion,
agreement was reached very quickly that this would be a worthwhile
undertaking. A member solicited input from Society members and got a
tremendous amount of input and images. The specific link dealing with our
local wild orchids is www.ottawaorchidsociety.com/ottawa_native.html . An
invitation has been extended to all Society members for further
contributions. We are confident our data base will expand as further
images and information are submitted. We are certain that folks will enjoy
collecting this information and taking pictures of our local wild orchids.
This initiative will most certainly increase our Society members awareness
of our local growing orchids. Visitors to Ottawa who may be interested in
our local wild orchids will now have a point of reference from which to
start.

Rick Sobkowicz
President & Editor
Ottawa Orchid Society

11. Reminder - March 1, 2012 is the date we are shooting for participating
orchid societies to give their 2011 1% FOC donation to the the orchid
conservation project or organization of their choice. Thank you for your
support of orchid conservation.

These updates are sent Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) at most bi-monthly.
E-mail options:
A. Do nothing and you will continue to receive 1% FOC updates BCC.
B. If you are getting this update and don't want to get future updates,
hit reply, and write "no updates". I apologize.
C. If you get this update from someone passing it on to you and you want
to receive future updates, directly e-mail:
information at orchidconservationcoalition.org