[PCA] Fw: Flowers, grazing and insects...

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Jul 17 15:23:30 CDT 2012

Alexandra Scohier, Annie Ouin, Anne Farruggia and Bertrand Dumont
Journal of Insect Conservation
2012, DOI: 10.1007/s10841-012-9509-9Online First?

from abstract: "Here, we investigated the benefits of temporarily
excluding sheep from pastures on butterfly (Lepidoptera: Rhopalocera and
Zygaenidae) and bumblebee (Hymenoptera: Bombidae) communities in two
semi-natural grasslands differing in soil fertility and surrounding
landscapes. We compared the impact of continuous grazing against
rotational grazing (RG) at the same stocking rate but in which a subplot
was excluded from the rotation during the main flowering period. We
predicted that the diversity of flower-visiting insect community would be
improved by RG due to the preservation of flower-rich patches and the
maintenance of sward heterogeneity. Benefits of RG management were mainly
evidenced on bumblebee density and species richness, with some additional
effects on local density of butterflies during the subplot-exclusion
period. Temporarily excluding sheep from pastures during peak flowering
could thus offer an opportunity to preserve the diversity of
flower-visiting insects, in spite of weaker benefits than could have been
expected from previous surveys with cattle."

Available at: http://www.springerlink.com/content/d228j53v5nm35806/