[PCA] Dandelion follow-up & Phragmites

James Trager James.Trager at mobot.org
Wed Aug 29 14:54:48 CDT 2012

I will make the following comment from the perspective of one who works in both the plant and animal systematics fields:

For now, we're stuck with them, but really, the plant systematists need to make an effort to rid the system of these trinomials (both subspecies and varieties, for goodness sakes!), by elevating entities such as the Taraxacum subspecies to species (also Phragmites, Achillea, etc.) as warranted, and synonymizing them where not warranted (no way reliably to discern them). These populations behave genetically like what zoosystematists call biological species (á la Ernst Mayr), a concept that has the appearance of somehow never having caught on with botanists. One can certainly point to all sorts of difficult cases and imperfections in the use of the biological species paradigm, but I still think it would be an improvement over the mess of infraspecific taxa that now so heavily burdens plant taxonomy. The botanists need to "get with the program".

Now as for defining "native" and "non-native" - not something I wish to rant about at the moment!

James C. Trager, Ph. D.

Biologist - Naturalist

Shaw Nature Reserve

P.O. Box 38