[PCA] Native Phragmites Data

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Aug 27 09:25:15 CDT 2012

Cheers, Bob!

My two cents:
A native can most definitely be an invasive.  Teal and Mark's comments
elucidate that issue well.
I'm not sure what list you might be referring to, but from what I
understand of the Federal Noxious Weed list, I believe that plants that
are either naturalized or have completely overrun the US will not end up
on that list. I believe that list tends to include species that are in the
earlier stages of invasion where prevention of further influxes can still
make a difference for slowing the spread. I also doubt it would be on any
state list - those often tend to be geared to non-natives and ornamental
plants - of which poison ivy is neither.

It seems like poison ivy falls into a strange no-man's land - as a native,
it doesn't seem to fit on the PCA ALien Plant WOrking Group listserve -
yet the expertise on that list may be more appropriate (versus this
general native plant listserve) because they are the folks with specific
insight on invasive species biology.

I wonder if any of the National Park Service Exotic Plant Management Teams
have identified it as among their top ten target taxa in any of their
regions?

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.

<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs

Robert Layton Beyfuss <rlb14 at cornell.edu>
Sent by: native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
08/27/2012 09:45 AM

Katy Cummings <katy.e.cummings at gmail.com>,
"native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org"
<native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [PCA] Native Phragmites Data

Hi All
I am a bit confused and hope you can enlighten me. I thought that the
basic definition of an invasive plant was that it had to be exotic.  There
are many native plants that create almost solid monocultures such as
common goldenrod yet can it be ?undesirable? at any density? . Poison ivy
can overrun entire areas but I have never seen it listed as invasive.
Bob