[PCA] Declining Habitats in Oregon

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon May 9 12:53:44 CDT 2011

Forwarding this request for information...please contact Kat Anderson
directly at: <mkanderson at ucdavis.edu>

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

-----------------------------------

In preparation for a talk to be given on Sunday, May 22, at the biannual
Native American Ecological Education Symposium (Ashland, Oregon), Kat
Anderson is going to talk a little about declining habitats that contain
important indigenous food plants and relate that to traditional foods
being "harder and harder to get."

"We have a book in California called "California's Changing Landscapes"
that talks about how much valley oak savannah, wetlands, coastal prairies,
etc. are left, compared to original estimated acreage at contact. Are
there any publications you can steer me toward that say of the XX million
acres of wapato 5 percent is left; of the xx thousand acres of camas
fields 10 percent is left; of the xx acres of Oregon oak savannahs x
percent is left?"  K. Anderson

Here are a list of landscapes in western Oregon and the eastern Cascades
compiled by Bob Zybach (NW Maps Company).  In particular, can you provide
answers (and references?) to Kat's questions regarding the following types
of landscapes (data from eastern Oregon, Washington and Idaho is also
useful):

1. Sugar pine and yellow pine woodlands.
2. Oak savanna and upland prairies (including brakes, meadows, and
balds?): a) tarweed, b) camas, and c) hazel.
3. Huckleberry, manzanita, and salmonberry fields.
4. Wapato or wokas lakes and ponds.
5. Cranberry bogs.
6. Tidal gardens.
7.  Other? Mulesear? Biscuitroot? Salal?

Please contact Kat Anderson directly at: <mkanderson at ucdavis.edu>