[PCA] Planting median strips

nancy lee adamson nladamson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:07:45 CDT 2011

The Finger Lakes Native Plant Society has helpful resources.
http://www.fingerlakesnativeplantsociety.org/

Chesapeake Bay Field Office has nurseries for NY:
http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/BayScapes/bsresources/bs-nurseries.htm#NY

The catalogs from Prairie Nursery and Prairie Moon Nursery have excellent
guides on planting with seed and their staff is really helpful.
http://www.prairienursery.com
http://www.prairiemoon.com/

If they are small areas, plugs would better.  I'm not familiar with the
nurseries in NY, but the native plant society can help with that.  Good
sources for landscape plugs and an info brochure on the plugs:
http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plugs.main/index.htm(click
on "Landscape Plugs" in the first paragraph to get a terrific 2 page
brochure)
http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/
http://newmoonnursery.com/
These nurseries sell plugs for transplanting, but the root systems are too
small for planting out, in general, so stick with the landscape plugs, which
come in flats of 38 from North Creek and 50 from New Moon.

Though focused on the Chesapeake Region, most of the plants described in
this booklet are native in NY.  Includes info on wildlife.
Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat and Conservation Landscaping:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/pubs/chesapeake/

Hope this helps!

Nancy

--
Nancy Lee Adamson, PhD
restoration ecologist, entomologist, & field botanist