[PCA] Weed Watcher Training 2011

Volunteer Program volunteerprogram at marinwater.org
Fri Feb 25 15:54:22 CST 2011

Weed Watchers
"Looking for the worst plants in the best places"

Are you a budding botanist? When hiking, does your slow, observational gait frustrate your frenetically paced friends? Do you loathe invasive species? Are you good at navigating or geocaching? Then perhaps you would enjoy becoming a Mt Tamalpais Watershed Weed Watcher.

Weed Watchers help survey trails and roadsides for new weed populations, discovering invasive plants before they become well-established. The MMWD watershed is home to over 900 species of plants and 400 species of animals, including 77 rare, threatened and endangered species. Locating invasive plants before they spread helps preserve the quality of habitat that our native plants and animals depend on and eases the drain on our natural resource management budget.

Weed Watchers are trained in general botany, plant identification, data collection, mapping and other vegetation management tools.Your findings directly affect the resource management and conservation activities on the watershed.

If you would like to take the time to become a Weed Watcher, the Mt Tamalpais watershed could use your help! To apply please submit your application before March 15, 2011 and attend one of our trainings. Initial trainings will take place March 15 at Sky Oaks Watershed Headquarters from 1pm to 5pm and Saturday March 26 from 10am to 2pm. A schedule of monthly guided hikes will be made available. The position description and application are attached.More information can be found on our website: http://marinwater.org/controller?action=menuclick&id=585. Please contact us with any questions you may have.

Rather apply your skills on Point Reyes or at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area? The NPS Weed Watcher trainings will take place on Thursday, March 17, at Building 1050 at Fort Cronkhite from 1pm-5pm and Saturday, April 9 from 9:30am to 2pm. Contact Eric_Wrubel at nps.gov( mailto:eEric_Wrubel at nps.gov) for more information.

Andrea Williams
Vegetation Ecologist
Marin Municipal Water District
Sky Oaks Watershed Headquarters
415-945-1184

Eventually the sun will nova and none of this will matter