[PCA] Study shows that trained botanists are better than untrained botanists at detecting botanical diversity

Andrea Kramer andrea.kramer at bgci.org
Wed Feb 23 22:20:17 CST 2011

Conservation and the botanist effect
Abstract

Over the last few decades, resources for descriptive taxonomy and biodiversity inventories have substantially declined, and they are also globally unequally distributed. This could result in an overall decline in the quality of biodiversity data as well as geographic biases, reducing the utility and reliability of inventories. We tested this hypothesis with tropical tree records (n = 24,024) collected from the Eastern Arc Mountains, Tanzania, between 1980 and 2007 by 13 botanists, whose collections represent 80% of the total plant records for this region. Our results show that botanists with practical training in tropical plant identification record both more species and more species of conservation concern (20 more species, two more endemic and one more threatened species per 250 specimens) than untrained botanists. Training and the number of person-days in the field explained 96% of the variation in the numbers of species found, and training was the most important predictor for explaining recorded numbers of threatened and endemic species. Data quality was related to available facilities, with good herbarium access significantly reducing the proportions of misidentifications and misspellings. Our analysis suggests that it may be necessary to account for recorder training when comparing diversity across sites, particularly when assessing numbers of rare and endemic species, and for global data portals to provide such information. We also suggest that greater investment in the training of botanists and in the provisioning of good facilities would substantially increase recording efficiency and data reliability, thereby improving conservation planning and implementation on the ground.

available at http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0006320710003484

Andrea T. Kramer, Ph.D.
Executive Director

Botanic Gardens Conservation International U.S.
at Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road
Glencoe, IL 60022     USA

Tel: 1-847-835-6971
Fax: 1-847-835-5484
E-mail: andrea.kramer at bgci.org
Internet: www.bgci.org/usa<http://www.bgci.org/usa>

Plants for the planet

This e-mail is for the addressee only. If received in error, please delete and notify us immediately. Any unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on it, is prohibited.

BGCI is a registered charity and company, limited by guarantee, in England and Wales, and in the U.S. as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Registered UK address: Descanso House, 199 Kew Road, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 3BW, UK, Charity number: 1098834, Company Number: 04673175

www.bgci.org

Have you pledged your support for plant conservation? Visit www.plantsfortheplanet.com now to sign your name.