[PCA] JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: GS-0401-11/12 Environ Contam position-Anchorage Fish & Wildlife Field Office

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Jun 21 10:48:18 CDT 2010

To read the announcements on USAJobs, go to: http://www.usajobs.gov/
And paste the announcement number (below) into the "Keyword" search engine

Closes: July 9!

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 06/21/2010 11:44
AM -----

Our GS-0401-11/12 Environmental Contaminants Biologist vacancy at the
Anchorage Fish and Wildlife Field Office is now open through July 9th!

Check it out -- Merit Announcement for current or previous permanent
Federal employees:  R7-10-358450-CS

                  DEU Announcement for anyone who meets the qualifications
of the position: R7-10-358879-CS

If these links don't work, applicants can find the announcement by going
to:  http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov

Our 3-person Environmental Contaminants Branch within our 24-person Field
Office has responsibilities for a wide diversity of challenging activities
ranging from work on malformed frogs on our National Wildlife Refuges, to
work on water quality and fish within our National Fish Habitat Action
Plans, unlocking reasons behind population declines in some of our listed
species, climate change, and evaluation and cleanup of Formerly Used
Defense Sites (World War II, Cold War, and nuclear testing).  This
position offers an opportunity to apply a broad suite of technical,
analytical, and social skills in addressing environmental contaminant
issues relative to fish and wildlife resources in south-central and
western Alaska. We are seeing ever more issues involving water quality and
habitat degradation and focus on assessing how activities ranging from
local roads to the largest mines in North America will affect fish and
wildlife resources and how/whether habitats affected by such activities
can be restored, particularly in view of climate change.   Environmental
Contaminants Program responsibilities include identifying and monitoring
environmental contaminant levels, and evaluating their effects on fish and
wildlife.  Program biologists also facilitate contaminant clean-up
activities with an emphasis on designated resources of national concern
and on National Wildlife Refuge lands.  Environmental Contaminants
biologists develop partnerships and work with others to leverage our funds
and effectiveness, and provide technical expertise and assistance to other
Field Office branches and Service programs.  For additional information
about the U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service Environmental Contaminants
Program, visit our website at
http://alaska.fws.gov/fisheries/contaminants/index.htm.

Anchorage prides itself on being an all-season gateway to adventure and
natural beauty.   Our office is minutes away from the 500,000-acre Chugach
State Park, home to moose, brown and black bears, wolves, and lynx -- not
to mention fabulous hiking, mountain bike and ski trails; and a few hours
away from some of the most productive (Kenai River salmon) and spectacular
(Denali National Park) places on the planet.

With a population of 280,000, Anchorage also boasts an excellent school
system, a diverse arts community, top notch hospitals, two universities,
an international airport, a recently expanded museum, farmers' markets in
summer, cross-country ski trails in the winter, and numerous other assets.
 Temperatures typically range from 60 ? 70 degrees in summer with cooler
nighttimes and early mornings.  Starting in September the temperatures
start to drop and average highs in the winter are in the low 20s.  More
information about Anchorage can be found at
http://www.muni.org/homepage/index.cfm