[PCA] Fw: Invitation to Pollinators Conference Oct. 3 and 4

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Aug 21 11:25:39 CDT 2008

Forwarding an announcement for a conference on pollinators being held in
Mass. this Oct. See below for details...

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 08/21/2008 12:23
PM -----

Folks-

This is an announcement about a Pollinator conference planned for October
in Amherst, Massachusetts, "Pollinators - Information for Action." Could
you please forward this to your lists, if it sounds like something of
interest?  A final agenda has not been posted yet.  However, we know we
will have presentations by Sam Droege of USGS/Patuxent, David Wagner of
University of Connecticut, John Ascher of American Museum of Natural
History, and Eric Mader of Xerces. Topics are focussed on the objectives
below and will include life history information as well as management
strategies. The conference will provide an interface between scientists
and managers, students, educators and the partners working hard for
pollinator conservation. You will need to register to attend.

Join us for a conference: ?Pollinators- Information for Action? on Friday
and Saturday, October 3 & 4, 2008 at University of Massachusetts in
Amherst, Massachusetts. The conference brings together researchers from
around the country to share information on the status of the pollinators
that provide important services for agriculture as well as sustaining
native populations of plants and animals - including people.

The conference is sponsored by the Athol Bird and Nature Club, Connecticut
Department of Environmental Protection. Millers River Environmental
Center, Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge, University of
Connecticut/Storrs, and the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Conference objectives
To provide up to date information on pollinator issues; pollinator status,
threats, and research methods.
To inform landowners and managers about practices which sustain
pollinators.
To inform participants about existing outreach efforts, including
partnerships, citizen science, and education.

        The Conference is open to the public. We invite scientists and
naturalists, concerned citizens and educators, local, state and national
agencies and non-governmental organizations that manage lands, and farmers
and gardeners to participate. If you have an email list of folks who would
be interested in the conference, we would appreciate your assistance by
forwarding this information to your list.

        Conference information and a link to registration is available on
the Millers River Environmental Center web site at
www.millersriver.net/pollen. Please check out the web page and if you need
over night accommodations, reserve a room at Howard Johnson?s in Hadley,
Massachusetts, at a special conference rate.  There are many other lodging
places in the area as well.  Further details of the speakers and topics
will be posted as developed.

Fees for the conference are $125 both days, $70 single day, keynote dinner
$40 extra.  The keynote speaker at dinner will be John Ascher of the
American Museum of Natural History. Lunches and break snacks are included
in the registration fees. After September 12, a late fee will be added.
Conference registration is available on the University of Massachusetts
website at:

https://www.aux.umass.edu/forms/conferenceservices/pollinator/index.htm

Shelley Small
U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service