[PCA] Assistance Needed For Conservation Project

Mary Ann Showers MSHOWERS at dfg.ca.gov
Wed Aug 20 11:57:02 CDT 2008

Dr. Covanes:  I read with interest your proposal to collect and spread
seeds of threatened or endangered species in the Lamiaceae.  As I work
with California State-listed plants, I definitely support conservation
efforts that would benefit listed species.  Your suggestion to collect,
grow, and disperse seeds of those species, however, is contrary to
principles promulgated by state or federal agencies and conservation
groups, as well as to laws and regulations written to protect listed
species.  The potential for impacts to native populations outweigh any
benefits that may result from seed collection, propagation, and
translocation.  These impacts include physical impacts, such as
trampling and direct damage to plants, during seed collection;
disruption of the native seedbank, especially in annual plants; loss of
genetic diversity in donor sites; potential genetic contamination at the
receiver site if populations of the translocated plants occur nearby;
and, loss of genetic diversity in propagated plants.  Translocation of
plants through direct seeding or outplanting is largely unsuccessful.
Based on available studies and monitoring reports, more than 80% of such
efforts fail.  Reasons for failure are myriad and include lack of
suitable substrates and microclimates at receiver sites, absence of
suitable pollinators at the receiver sites, ecological stressors not
found at the donor sites, lack of long-term maintenance at receiver
sites, and importantly, lack of protection in perpetuity of the receiver
site.

There are many avenues available to further conservation of listed
plants.  Dr. De Angelis* letter perfectly describes and summarizes such
avenues.  I hope that further discussion among members of PCA will
provide additional recommendations and guidance.

Mary Ann Showers, Lead Botanist
Habitat Conservation Branch
California Department of Fish and Game
1416 - 9th Street, 12th Floor