[PCA] Assistance Needed For C0onservation Project

Johnny Randall jrandall at email.unc.edu
Wed Aug 13 16:12:21 CDT 2008

Dr. Covanes: While I very much appreciate your efforts and intentions
for conserving threatened/endangered plants, your methods conflict with
those of other groups and could jeopardize the very plants you seek to
protect. The Center for Plant Conservation (CPC), for example, has
coordinated ex situ rare plant conservation nation wide for over 20
years and has developed researched based seed collection protocols that
minimizes the impact to wild populations. (And I feel that CPC member
institutions should be helping to coordinate the efforts you propose.)
There is also the legal matter of required collection permits for public
land and the permission required from private landowners...

Many would also challenge the idea that cultivation benefits
conservation. The loss of genetic diversity that necessarily occurs
through the cultivation process reduces the conservation value of such
plants in addition to creating the real potential for selection to the
cultivated environment. And suggesting that rare plant seeds and
seedlings be scattered in rural and farmland areas is ecological anathema.

I hope that other discussions will occur among PCA members and
cooperators who might also offer opinions.
Very sincerely – Johnny Randall

--
Johnny Randall, Ph.D.
Assistant Director