[PCA] Promising technologies for plant surveys -- TRB Study

Kunda Lee Wicce kundaleewicce at grandecom.net
Wed Aug 13 15:11:32 CDT 2008

Mr. Stein,

Per your email below, requesting

> input about any interesting, unusual, and promising approaches to
> surveying and monitoring native plant populations, particularly
> those with relevance to the transportation process (planning [long-
> range as
> well as project-specific], design, construction, maintenance).
> These tools, techniques, and approaches could range from improved/
> innovative methods for field surveys, data management, analysis, or
> decision-support.

the Native Prairies Association of Texas is conducting county by
county surveys for tallgrass prairie plant communities in 94 Texas
counties.  We are fully funded to complete these over the next two
years. We begin with aerial photography, locating likely prairies,
then do field truthing from road rights-of-way.  We also obtain
ownership and contact information.  I'm attaching our Survey Protocol
and Supplemental Information documents.

We currently share this information with other Texas land trusts, TNC
and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.  It would be excellent if
the information were made available to planners of O&G pipeline
easements.

If I can be of any further assistance, call or email me.