[PCA] strict natives vs cultivars

Lynda Boyer Lboyer at heritageseedlings.com
Wed Apr 9 12:42:15 CDT 2008

Rochelle,

I would encourage you to get an outstanding new book by Dr. Douglas
Tallamy, an entomologist at the University of Delaware, "Bringing Nature
Home" (see description below).  Since he does a lot of his studies on
the east coast and there are numerous cultivars of eastern natives, he
may address whether they are as beneficial to insects as wild natives.
Your last sentence clearly speaks to the points in his book.  As we
continue to put pressure on our agricultural areas through development
and monoculture crops, we will be relying more and more on our suburban
and urban landscapes to support population of native birds, insects, and
other critters.

I am a botanist and native seed producer in Oregon and we are woefully
behind the rest of the country in the wide use (or even acceptance) of
the need to include natives in our landscapes.

I applaud your question and encourage more discourse on the topic from
landscape and garden professionals.

Best to you,

Lynda Boyer
Restoration Biologist and Native Plant Manager
Heritage Seedlings, Inc.
Salem OR
www.heritageseedlings.com

This is a review from
http://blogs.scottarboretum.org/gardenseeds/2008/02/bringing-nature-home
/
Dr. Tallamy, an entomologist at the University of Delaware, wrote
Bringing Nature Home as a manifesto to suburban gardeners to help them
make decisions based not just on their garden's appearance, but also how
their gardens affect biodiversity and populations of insects, birds, and
other mammals. We have all seen the over-development of suburbia and the
extent to which this development has ravaged our land, but Dr. Tallamy
and his students have discovered legitimate scientific data to show us
the link between native plants, beneficial insects, and native wildlife
populations. While it may seem irreversible to some of us, Tallamy sends
an encouraging message that the damage done to our landscapes is fixable
and that the garden is the place to start. This book has a wonderful mix
of scientific data and horticultural expertise along with a clear
message to all of us gardeners: that the spaces we create can be
beautiful and can have a lasting impact in our ecosystems. Tallamy's
book will change the way you look at gardening and should be required
reading for all gardeners.