[PCA] strict natives vs cultivars

Gussman, Christopher D christopher.d.gussman at lmco.com
Wed Apr 9 09:21:09 CDT 2008

Good topic.  Certainly for restoration work, genetically diverse,
non-cultivars (from a local source, if available) should be utilized..
This may have to be spelled out very clearly in a restoration plan if
contractors are doing the work, else your site may be revegetated with a
monoculture of  100 Acer rubrum 'Red Sunset'.    For the
landscape/landscaper I can see where this gets tricky, esp. on a small
property that only supports a few woody items.  I totally agree that too
much of our current landscape is wasted, and it would be preferable to
make them as close to the natural world as we can.  It will be hard to
totally convince many clients of that, and if they only have room for
one tree on a small lot, they are going to want a red maple that
actually has good, red fall color or an American Holly with good fruit
production and minimal leaf blemishes.   I would encourage the use of
natives, from local genetically diverse seed sources, but under some
circumstances compromises will need to be made.