[PCA] strict natives vs cultivars

Rochelle Bartolomei rockypandora at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 08:32:50 CDT 2008

I have a question regarding the use of cultivars versus straight native species.  My understanding is that cultivars are native plants that have been selected for certain characteristics and then reproduced (cloned?).  I assume this would have a negative impact on diversity of ecotypes.

I am a landscaper and I am attempting to do the right thing for the environment and want to know which plants to select.  As a design element, it would be nice to be able to choose cultivars for their specific traits.  In terms of the plants themselves, sometimes the non-cultivated species are rife with problems.  For example, Michael Dirr advises against using ilex opaca because of its vulnerability to disease and insect infestation, whereas he encourages use of cultivars.  Wouldn't it be better to have a healthy cultivated native?

I know  that this subject is debatable, but I'd love to hear some conversation about it, or be referred to recent studies or articles where I could find some solid science to base my decisions on.  My fear is that in the future, our yards are going to be one of the few places wildlife is going to have a chance to thrive, and if so, we need to make them as close to the true natural world as we can.

http://mail.yahoo.com