[PCA] FR NOTICE: Anticipated Delisting of Deseret milk-vetch

Megan_Haidet at fws.gov Megan_Haidet at fws.gov
Thu Jan 25 12:42:17 CST 2007

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

Fish and Wildlife Service

50 CFR Part 17

Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Anticipated
Delisting of Astragalus desereticus (Deseret milk-vetch) From the List
of Endangered and Threatened Plants; Prudency Determination for
Designation of Critical Habitat

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.

ACTION: Advanced notice of proposed rulemaking; notice of critical
habitat prudency determination.

SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), announce our
intention to conduct rulemaking under the Endangered Species Act (Act)
of 1973 as amended (Act) (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.) for the purpose of
removing

[[Page 3380]]

Astragalus desereticus (Deseret milk-vetch) from the List of Endangered
and Threatened Plants in the near future. Specifically, we intend to
propose delisting A. desereticus because threats to the species as
identified in the final listing rule (64 FR 56590, October 20, 1999)
are not as significant as earlier believed and are managed such that
the species is not likely to become in danger of extinction throughout
all or a significant portion of its range in the foreseeable future.
Upon delisting, A. desereticus would be managed pursuant to a
Conservation Agreement among the Service and Utah State agencies.
reconsidered whether designating critical habitat for Astragalus
desereticus would be prudent based on this species' current status. We
have determined that such a designation is not prudent because, as
described in this advanced notice, we believe that designating critical
habitat would not be beneficial to the species (50 CFR 424.12). This is
because no area meets the definition of ``critical habitat'' (i.e.,
there are no areas essential to the conservation of the species which
require special management considerations, and protections afforded by
the species' current listing status appear to be no longer necessary).

DATES: Comments and information must be submitted before March 26,
2007.

ADDRESSES: If you wish to comment, you may submit your comments and
materials by any one of the following methods:
(1) You may mail or hand-deliver written comments and information
to Field Supervisor, Utah Ecological Services Office, U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, 2369 West Orton Circle, Suite 50, West Valley City,
Utah 84119.
(2) You may electronic mail (e-mail) your comments to <A HREF="mailto:
deseretmilkvetch at fws.gov">
deseretmilkvetch at fws.gov</A>. For directions on how to submit comments by

e-mail, see the ``Public Comments Solicited'' section of this notice.
In the event that our Internet connection is not functional, please
submit your comments by mail, hand delivery, or fax to 801-975-3331.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Larry England, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service, 2369 West Orton Circle, Suite 50, West Valley City, Utah 84119
(telephone 801-975-3330; fax 801-975-3331; e-mail <A HREF="mailto:
larry_england at fws.gov">
larry_england at fws.gov</A>).

To view the entire FR notice visit:
http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-SPECIES/2007/January/Day-25/e1062.htm