[PCA] Non-Native Bumble Bee Introduction Proposed

Jennifer Kalt jkalt at asis.com
Wed Jan 3 12:58:11 CST 2007

FYI,
The California Department of Food and Agriculture has proposed
introduction of a non-native bumble bee in 23 counties, despite evidence
of impacts to native pollinators, native plants, and the potential for
increased pollination of non-native plants. For more information, visit
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/bees.htm. Comments on the Negative
Declaration are due Jan. 19.

My understanding is that CDFA is the Lead Agency reviewing the
environmental consequences, and is also the project proponent. Since
there are no listed bumble bees under state or federal law, I am not
sure which public trust agencies will be reviewing this proposal.

--
Jennifer Kalt
Conservation Chair

The California Native Plant Society's mission is to preserve and protect
native plants in their natural habitats.

Notice of Intent to adopt a Negative Declaration for
a proposal to introduce a non-native bumblebee, Bombus impatiens, into
the agro-ecological system of the state of California for crop pollination.

The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) has prepared
and intends to adopt a Negative Declaration for the proposed
introduction of a non-native bumblebee, Bombus impatiens, into the
agro-ecological system of the state of California for crop pollination
in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and
State CEQA Guidelines. CDFA is the lead agency for the project under CEQA.

Description of the Proposed Project:

The proposed project consists of a request for a permit to allow the
introduction of the non-native bumblebee Bombus impatiens as a
pollinator for fruit, nut and vegetable crops in the state of
California. Source of Bombus impatiens and all constituents is Koppert
Biological Systems, State of Michigan. The timing of introduction would
be from weeks 3 through 22 of the calendar year. Pollination duration in
the field would be for a maximum of 5 weeks.

Project Location:

Introductions would be exclusively south of 39° latitude in agricultural
areas, specifically the following counties: Yolo, Sacramento, San
Joaquin, Solano, Stanislaus, Merced, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San
Benito, Monterey, Fresno, Madera, Kings, Tulare, San Luis Obispo, Kern,
San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Orange, Riverside, San Diego and
Imperial. (see attached map)

Public Review Period:

The Negative Declaration and Initial Study are being circulated for
public review and comment as required by the State CEQA Guidelines for a
period of 30 days starting December 21, 2006 and ending January 19,
2007.  Written comments on either the adequacy of the environmental
information and/or the merits of the project must be submitted no later
than January 19, 2007

                         to the following address:

Mr. Jim Rains
California Department of Food and Agriculture
1220 N, Street Room A-316
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 651-9371

Copies of the Negative Declaration and Initial Study may be obtained at
the address and/or contact shown above and are also available for review
at this address Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. The
documents can also be accessed at the following web site:
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/bees.htm
No public meetings and/or workshops are planned at this time for this
project.  Appropriate public notice will be provided if any are
subsequently scheduled during the public review period.

CDFA assumes that the importation on the non native bumblebees will not
occur in areas of listed hazardous waste facilities, land designated as
hazardous waste property and hazardous waste disposal sites.