[PCA] Wildflower Seed Postcards aren't as bad as the "wildflower mix"

Craig Dremann craig at astreet.com
Wed Apr 25 11:31:05 CDT 2007

Dear All,

Worse than the wildflower cards, which usually only contain a few grams
of the offending seeds, are the bulk (1/4-1 lb) "wildflower" mixes.

I have owned a seed company for 35 years, and there's no nation-wide
legal definition of "wildflower" in the United States, so other than
Federally listed noxious weed seeds, just about anything can be put in a
seed packet---especially bad are the packets labeled a "mix" and called
"wildflowers".  I've seen a whole range of invasive exotic seeds being
sold as "wildflowers".

Companies will even put together a wildflower mix for a particular
geographic location, like "Coastal California wildflowers" and
intentionally include exotics that are easy to grow but are already
causing problems as invasives weeds in the area, because the seed is
very cheap, like Blue flax.

Perhaps someone with a knowledge of exotic species could conduct a
Google survey on the contents of the various "Wildlfower" mixes  sold by
the internet sellers located in the USA?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City Seed CO.,
Redwood City, CA (650) 325-7333